Ideas for gift basket for grieving friend?
Friendship / 10:28 PM - Tuesday October 25, 2011

My close friend's little sister died over the weekend. It was very unexpected and she obviously is in a lot of emotional pain right now. I wish that I could attend the funeral but we live very far away from each other and its just not possible, so I want to send her a bereavement gift. I was thinking of making a gift basket with things that are "comforting". Any ideas? Also, I'm confused about how often I should be contacting. Don't want to overwhelm her with calls but want to make sure I'm there for her at the same time! Opinions?

Aromatherapy gift like lavender lotion, a teddy bear, some chamomile tea, a comforting book about death like Why bad things happen to good people

A gift basket with things that will bring her comfort is an excellent idea. You know your friend better then we do so just think of some of the things she enjoys; flower,snacks, a little stuffed animal, a book of inspirational passage, any thing you know she likes.

Call her and tell her you are there for her. In my opinion 1-2 a week is ok but that's me.

- Response by electroman, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Seattle, Science / Engineering

Put your self in her shoes. If you lost a sibling, and a friend sent you a gift basket, what would you think? You'd spend 2 minutes thinking "how nice", toss it to the side, and cry some more.

Sorry. Dumb idea.

Instead of wasting money on a gift basket, just send her some cash to help with the funeral or burial.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

Wow, first of all sorry to hear this....I certainly understand your position...perhaps get her an inspirational book on dealing with grief...not sure what I would put in a basket, but a book might help....I would let her know you are there if she needs to talk, then wait about a week and start calling....she is in a state of shock right now, and to much is going on....what I have heard from people is the best time to contact is about 2 weeks after, because that is usually when people settle back into their lives (not your friend)....so she will need people more then....and talk about her sister, she will let you know what is ok and what is not!!

- Response by lk2mvit, A Life of the Party, Female, 36-45, Other Profession