How long does it take for bruised ribs to heal?
Diet & Health / 2:14 PM - Sunday October 23, 2011

November 8th or last year, I slipped in the shower (my knee gave out on me) and I fell on my left ribs on the edge of the tub, and almost a year later they don't seem much better, and the external bruising just went away maybe 2 months ago.
And pain meds do NOT work with me so I have been suffering with this for quite some time, and there are times it hurts more than others, which is normal with any of my injuries, but how long will it take to heal, because most places I check it says within a month, that's also how long my doctor said it would take

But why after almost a year are they still not healed?

Update: October 23, 2011.
OF course I had xrays, had to demand them, but I eventually had them done

- Asked by alysya216, An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25, Edmonton, Other Profession

Two months should be fine. You had bruises for ten months? Hello? Those are not bruises. They are evidence of internal bleeding. You may have torn your diaphragm or even damaged an organ. The good news is that the lack of bruises now means the bleeding has stopped. The bad news is the tear may have healed torn and the pain you feel is when it get's stressed at that point. Can you take a full chest of air and then sing or yell loudly without pain? Did you see a doctor after the first two weeks? That's how long a bruise takes to go away. Somebody failed to do their due diligence. You need to go back and see an internal surgeon.

Ribs can really suck, If they crack or fracture.
Because you don't have a lot you can do to help.

It's such a long wait anytime you feel any pain.
There's no rules for "when". I still have aches.

- Response by mikegeeboyd, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

Depends on what you've been doing since then...

I cracked my 6th & 7th ribs playing basketball when I was 28.
I took 8 weeks off "to heal," but had to get back out there asap. The running, breathing hard and taking hits - using all the muscles pulling on the ribs - kept me sore for more than a year.

I had to give it up completely a year after that. It just hurt too much to play, so I couldn't play at the same level any more.

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 46-55

It's your body...You tell us ??

Zinc is good to heal wounds & strengthens your immune system,

But Ribs ??...it's all up to your own body's healing ability

- Response by hedo2nj, A Player, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

Did you get an xray and your sure its bruised and not broken? I broke a rib and it took about two years to stop feeling any pain in varying degrees. I know how you feel believe me and its very painful

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

best see a doctor
have you taken a bath in epson salts w/warm water?

- Response by lionhearted32219, A Father Figure, Male, Who Cares?, Tampa, Who Cares?

That's a long time to hurt.I would have thought the injuries should have healed by now.Maybe you developed arthritis on that briusing.It is comon that injuries develope into it.See if it hurts more just before rain or extreme cold. I hope you stop hurting.