Big Fire Ants laying eggs in dryer?
House & Home / 1:19 AM - Wednesday October 12, 2011

Big Fire Ants laying eggs in dryer?

Has this happened to any of you. I live in a humid, wet place-especially this time of year-so bugs like to go "indoors" during this time. But today found BIG RED FIRE ANTS in the door of my dryer (that crevice between the lint thing and the inside of the door). Ants were one by one collecting rice that was trapped in it and bringing it somewhere. Turned out it looked like they were actually ANT EGGS.

We are calling the exterminator tomorrow, but just curious...I know Ants are smart but can the queen REALLY lay eggs in the dryer door (that gets opened and closed regularly)---and the other Ants know when and where to retrieve the eggs when ready?? Even if they are not in that location while it grows?

- Asked by A Sportif, Female, 29-35, Student

I would run that friggin' dryer on high heat all night long. That will show those little bastards!

- Response by richfromringgold, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Well ants are attracted to two things: Moisture and food.

I would think they were drawn by the moisture of the washing machine. Then took up residence in the dryer because it is dry and available. I am wondering if you keep the lint trap really clean. They could have decided to bed down in the lint. It could be like finding a free, already built nest.

I think your dryer must be located in a place that is also close to the fire ants home. They can and will go anywhere. I never have heard about a clothes dryer before. I have heard about a washing machine. They can crawl up from underneath anything. I think you were wise to call an exterminator. There is no worst pest than ants when they are in nesting mode.

throw a little borax powder and honey in the vent. They will carry it back to the queen and the nest will be destroyed.

That should a NOVA Science Now episode.

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering