How do you spell favorite/favourite ?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 9:26 AM - Monday September 05, 2011

How do you spell favorite/favourite ?

with the u or without?
if you use the u does it sound different when you say it?
Same goes for color/colour.

what's the benefit of using the u ?

- Asked by A Creative, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

It is UK spelling and is considered "proper" English. There is no benefit, it's just the way the British spell.

I work for a British company and I find myself always typing "behaviour", "standardisation", "colour", etc.

So in America, we spell it the way American's spell it. Even if it is correspondence to the UK.

- Response by curadvent, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

The British stick a "U" into many words. I don't see any benefit.

Proper English its spelt with a "u"....both are spelt with a "u" all over Europe.

Americans spell them without the "u" but ive heard many Americans say that it just sounds and looks more posh with the "u" in them. lol

- Response by cheekymatt25, A Career Man, Male, 29-35, London, Body Work

The u is used in the British spelling. Americans don't use it, unless they're trying to market a product as "foreign."

I guess any pronunciation change would be from the accent of the region people spell with it. I pronounce them the same.

- Response by ddegon, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Washington, DC

I say "Favert". I visit the south a lot.

- Response by awsum1, A Life of the Party, Male, Who Cares?, Chicago

one spelling is american and one is canadian. for some reason we canucks like to stick in u's here and there. behaviour and behavior is another example, LOL. when i do spell check i have to remember to switch it to canadian eh?

- Response by cuetpie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Toronto, Student