What's the secret to making good meat loaf, I mean the best!?
Recipes & Entertaining / 8:19 PM - Sunday September 04, 2011

what's the secret to making good meat loaf, I mean the best!?

- Asked by anao7, Female, 66 or older, Self-Employed

Adding porridge oats, I promise you

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

Wednesday is recipe day on AO. We had a pretty good meat loaf recipe posted a week or so ago. I don't know if it was "the best" but it sounded quite tasty.

I'm pretty sure it's good meat. Try using ground turkey. It makes a brown gravy,tastes really good and has less fat.

I use actual bread in mine. I pull apart a slice or two of bread in very small crumbs and mix it in. I also chop up an onion and mix it in along with onion&herb ms. dash and 2 eggs. I don't like alot of extras in my meatloaf. My daughter loves my meatloaf too. She won't eat anyone elses. Don't over mix either. It makes it tough and dry.

Oats are a must. I also finely mince onions, green peppers, carrots and celery. But I mean FINELY minced.

- Response by curvysmartgirl, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Good meat doesn't loaf.

Ill have to agree with most people oatmeal instead of bread. Also, italian seasonings and finely chopped carrots and peppers

- Response by qtpie87, A Life of the Party, Female, 26-28, Financial / Banking

Well, you should add bread-crumbs soaked in a little milk (in order to be fluffy) and of course seasoning like parsley and oregano. We use to hide whole hard-boiled eggs in the middle of loaf, so when it is sliced for serving a lovely slice of egg is evident.

- Response by Alexandraki, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Athens

I use ground turkey for my meat.For one lb.of meat, add 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs, one egg, 1 tsp. poultry seasoning, chopped onion,parsley & celery to taste and 1 Tablesp. A-1 sauce and 1/8 cup fat free half and half. Mix together well, place in loaf pan and top with one can of healthy choice cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/4 cup of fat free half and half. Sprinkle the top with a very light amount of prm cheese-garlic mix. ( I use McCormick garlic bread sprinkle) Bake 1 hour in 350* oven. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

- Response by jhornbeck111, Female, 66 or older, Retired