If you go for an interview and you don't hear back in two weeks, does it mean you didn't get the job
Career / 11:31 PM - Friday August 26, 2011

My daughter went to an interview for a job she would love to get. The person asking the questions made a comment during the interview that my daughter has a lot of experience. She considered that a good sign. She hasn't heard anything back in two full weeks though. Does that mean she didn't get the job? How long does it take usually to find out?

- Asked by Female, 66 or older

Tell her to call the hiring person and/or human resources. Ask them when the decision will be made, ask questions to show your interest, and anything else you can think of. Keep calling, my daughter did this and got the job she really wanted.

- Response by daffodils2008, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

I own a business and I interview all the time.. I pay attention to things like Thank you Notes (hand written.. after the interview, and I appreciate knowing the person called back within two weeks, sometimes it can take over a month depending on the job and the company.. but she needs to check back and write the note (which I assume she has) .. Experience is great but it is not the be all end all.. sometimes I interview but the position has changed or is no longer open but I keep them in my files.. so it could be many things, but I can promise that her not being proactive doesn't help.

In this job market there are no rules.

After two weeks, I would tell her to put in a call to the hiring manager (person that represents HR) and just tell them she is following up and is inquiring about status. Basically you would be asking whether or not they have filled the position.

A follow up call is needed by your daughter. If this really is her Dream Job she needs to call and see how what the deal is. The worst thing she could hear is sorry but the position is filled. Which is still far better than sitting waiting and not moving forward with a clear path. If she would love this job tell her call them. You gotta be tenacious in this economy.

- Response by bellabyrdie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I usually know when I leave if I have the job.

During the interview she should be "closing."

"Closing" means asking for the job- if they can't give to you on the spot you ask what their decision process is and you tell them how interested you are and that you think you would make a great fit and ask what the next step is in the process and when you should exxpect to hear from them.

Within 24 hors you send a thank you email -short and sweet but add anything to further sell why you would be great.

If they say they will know in a week or whatever I would call them and ask where they are if I am still under consideration and if tehre is anything else you can provide.

She should call to follow up at this point. Just to remind them she is still interested. I don't think she should give up before at least checking back with them herself. They've could have gotten side tracked dragging their feet or worse case filled the position already, but at least she'll have tried everything she could & get some idea where she stands. Wishing her the best of luck

- Response by melmac, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

They're are probably looking for the BEST/RIGHT candidate for the job...When an employer is looking for potential employees...they usually try to get someone from out of town or a person a little under qualified..so they can pay an individual the least amount of money compared to the applicant that's qualified & want a specific amount..Having said this,she may or may not hear from the employer, that doesn't mean she can't continue looking for other jobs..any job that's lawful is better than not having one at all...evenif the pay isn't so great..just tell her that..any money is better than no money...Hopefully, she'll be ok.Who knows? maybe that employer will hire her..just don't let her be motionless..and wait for her job to fallfrom the sky..In time, it will happen.

- Response by dunchuss, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

Your daughter could phone the employer and ask where they are with the hiring process. No harm in doing that.

Did the employer give any time frame for making the decision? "We have interviews through the end of August," "we will be making a decision by the weekend," that sort of thing? Although one would hope to hear back quickly, it's perfectly understandable if they haven't made a deciusion. It depends on how important this position is for them to fill, how busy the person doing the hiring is, whether that person has been on vacation, etc.

Your daughter probably should follow up with a call to whoever she met with just to restate her interest in the job.

- Response by mikehug, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Cleveland

Have her call the person that interviewed her. He/She may think that she is over-qualified and not interested. Call as soon as possible. She also should have sent a note thanking the interviewer and expressed her interest in the job. These are the things that stand out.

- Response by debnj2011, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

If it's not a government job, two weeks is too long is too long to hear nothing, and she likely has missed out.

A first follow up should be made within the week, usually something handwritten and personal, to the interviewer or 'hiring manager.' After that, an email or if they gave her a business card, a phone call. (A business card is an "invitation" to call, in case she didn't know).

"Lot of experience" is a key statement that she should have addressed at the time. It could mean they think she will be too expensive, disinclined to remain if something else were available, or there may be issues of perceived "seniority" in the dept. Some young managers just do not handle older or more knowledgeable subordinates well.

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 36-45

SOme times it takes along time.Have her send a thank you for the interview.Not only is it a nice thing to do but they might call her.