Unemployed - should I accept this job?
Career / 3:53 PM - Sunday August 21, 2011

Unemployed - should I accept this job?

I have been unemployed for 14 months. Recently had several good interviews. Received first job offer a few days ago. The pay is $15,000 less than my last job and travel is 2 hours each way by train. I've discovered since receiving offer company is inflexible and at interview I realised it's not environment I want to be in. They want long term commitment, not someone who will only be there briefly and its a responsible management role. My confidence has increased and I'm more effective at interviews. I feel I will find something close to home for same money and I don't want to mess company around by accepting then quitting once I find something else. My husband is pressuring me to take it then quit once I get something else. I think this would be wrong and I've been stressed out thinking about it. I should feel happy and relieved to find a job but I don't - I definitely don't want this job. What should I do?

It depends on how badly you need the money right now.

Are you managing on just your husband's salary and your unemployment compensation (assuming you're collecting)? Or are your bills all behind, your credit becoming damaged, and/or are you in danger of losing your home?

If you can manage for a while on your current household income, I'd keep looking. You're talking about a four-hour daily commute on top of an eight-hour workday. That's twelve hours a day - sixty hours a week for a job that you know you're going to hate and for a very significant decrease in pay over your last position.

Not only would you hate the job, the hours would effectively prevent you from actively seeking and interviewing for a better one. It's definitely a gamble, but if you can manage, I'd pass on this one and keep looking.

Few things to consider:
1. Longer you are unemployed, the harder it is to get a job. Unemployed people get overlooked by companies hiring. May not be fair but it is a fact.
2. Your Husband is telling you to take it so apparently financially you need it. Who cares that it wasn't what you were making before? I really hate when people refuse to take a job b/c it's not the plumb job or income they had before. It's more than you make now! I seriously believe a lot of people are still unemployed not because they can't get a job but because they won't Take a job. Unless you don't need to work or need ANY money, I suggest you respect the burden your Husband is under and take the job.
3. You never know what this could lead to--you only went on an interview. You are making a lot of assumptions. This could be your window to shine but you're at risk of being out of work for so long that you're finding ways to talk yourself out of going.
4. If you get another job you won't be scarring any company for life. They know what turnover is so stop worrying about that. Worry about your family first.

Are you two in the 'soup line' yet? I think it is wrong for your husband to suggest this arrangement - Go with your gut and keep looking.

- Response by juliehollar, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

if you were, god forbid, born without feet, and your husband insisted that you go out and buy diamond-encrusted slippers, would you feel him to be the fool?

if the job, as you describe it, sounds so wonderful, tell him to submit his own damned resume.

bide your time, and don't screw yourself, your pofessional profile, your future earning power, ad your self esteem by taking this totally usuitable job.

I'm sorru byt I aree with your husband, accept it and quit when you find something better. It's better than nothing at the end of the day and you have to do what is best for you not for this company.

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

That is a really long commute. No way!

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

I say if your not hurting financially then don't take it.I've been in a new city for 6 months and have had 7 job offers and have quit 4 jobs because something better came along.

- Response by unbreakablesilence, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

Think this over. Your husband may well be right. Let's say you do not take the job. Are you absolutly sure you can get another. You have been without a job 14 months. Did your last job care about your wellbeing. Believe me, this one is no different. Your husband is with you for the long haul. This company is not. Inflexible. Where did that come from?

- Response by nomadbum, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Self-Employed

I would have to agree with your husband about taking the job and leaving once you find something else. As long as you give a couple weeks notice before leaving, there should be no reason for you to feel bad.

- Response by alizartmist, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older

a 4 hour commute!! geez, he must not want to see you a lot? You can't find a closer job? Is your Unemployment gone? I vote no, find a temp job closer if necessary.

Yeah, wait until he feels the effects of the 4 hours of commuting you have to do and then he'll be yelling at you as to why you took the job knowing it was so far away and deny that he pressured you to take it anyway!

You can't win here with him. Given what you've said, I wouldn't take the job and would wait for something that works better for you and your family.

Your husband is right. You don't owe an emloyer anything, and you can bet your ass they won't be loyal to you when it comes down to it. I'm saying this as an employer myself.
Take the job, get the money and look for something better. Also, it's a lot easier to find a new job when you already have a job. Nobody wants to hire an unemployable bum right now.

- Response by rooster1eye, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Las Vegas, Executive

Take the job be greatfull. Your husband could find himself out of work when you least expect it. Major medical can happen or freak accident. No one is promised tommorow

- Response by mynekogirl, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, Executive

When accepting a job you must always consider the costs associated with taking the position. I have been in your shoes, excited to get the offer and not totally considering all the cons. Maybe while you are looking for a better fit for your lifestyle and pocket, take a temporary position closer to home. I did work at a temp agency and it was great for transition periods in your career. Another bonus to temping is that you get to try out the company first. Hang in there, there is always an up side to situation.

- Response by realhousewifebusiness, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles

TAKE THE JOB if you get another one- tell them and let them make the decision

- Response by A Career Man, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

it is up to you if you are willing to take a cut in pay.
as for me, i would take it until i can find a job that i want and at a higher rate./