Phone etiquette - how late is too late to call someone that you don't know
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 11:31 AM - Tuesday August 16, 2011

and are calling for the first time? Is 10 pm too late? Kinda seems like it might be, but I wasn't sure. Don't want to make a bad first impression!

- Asked by patrick227, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Managerial

After 9pm would be rude.

- Response by stanorocks, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Denver, Therapist

9 p.m. is the typical polite cutoff time, whether you know the person or not.

I think anything after 10 is too late. Why not 9 PM?

Wouldnt call someone I didnt know past 9.
Anything later seems rude

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

Too late. Let me set you straight here because you are going about this all wrong it seems. Are you going to call her after ten in hopes of having a long get to know you type conversation? If you are, don't. Seriously, don't. In the beginning, phone calls have one purpose, to set up a date. Do not use the phone as a way to get to know her, do that in person. She can talk to her girlfriends on the phone, not you. Are you trying to be her girlfirend? No, then don't act like them. Before the 5th date or before you sleep together the phone is for setting up and confirming a date. The more time you spend on the phone the less interested she will be in you.

- Response by 7zebras, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Financial / Banking

Depends on what you know about them. If you know they're putting kids to bed, 8 is too late. If you know they stay up to watch the 8PM movie, then 10 is fine.

As you're probably calling a single young lady, I say 10 is fine, but I'd call earlier, like immediately after 9, when the show she's watching ends.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

Office hours (7AM to 5PM) if calling their office, or 9AM to 9PM if calling their home. "Home" includes SOHO.

- Response by dendresdner, A Jock, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

I would say call between 8 and 9..After dinner, but before the "grown" up shows start.

But hey, back in our kidless days, we were just going out to dinner at 8, so 10 would be perfect!

- Response by deerock1980, A Married Girl, Female, 29-35, Newark, Administrative

I'll chime in.

If it's not an emergency, I don't want to be called before 9:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
It pisses me off.

This mostly applies to telemarketers and those who want to pick-up donations at my home or want us to help with some political thing.

Some folks have kids and some folks work very early or very late hours and not everyone can turn their 'phones off due to job requirements and kids at school, and elderly parents, etc.
but I will state this:

After 25 freakin' years, my in-laws have never been able to figure-out the time difference between the East Coast and Alaska or the Pacific or Mountain time zones.

At this point, I don't think they don't know...They just don't give a sh*t.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

If you don't know the person well after 9 is too late.

- Response by surovcak, A Creative, Female, 22-25, Houston, Who Cares?

depends on the time zone the other person is in.