Do you favor no-kids-allowed policy?
Family & Parenting / 3:54 PM - Thursday July 28, 2011

Do you favor no-kids-allowed policy?

Few businesses like restaurants, supermarkets and airlines have implemented the idea with reasonable success. By success, I meant it received a welcome tone from patrons/customers in general.

Now personally, I am not a big fan of irritating, noisy, ill-behaving young humans but......... does not that reflect lack of parenting skills?

It would be absolutely understandable if we had no-silly parents-allowed policy for such moms and dads. Or as one of my friends suggests quiet often, time has come for government to start issuing parenting licenses for select few.

- Asked by vacuum, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Science / Engineering

It makes no odds to me either way. If it makes money then restaurants, airlines and other company's will implement it, but whether I like the idea or not, no airline is gonna fly with two passengers just cause they don't like kids.

- Response by rumloverreturns, A Married Girl, Female, 46-55, Glasgow, Other Profession

Here is my take on it. If your kid is out of control and is disturbing EVERYONE. Shut them up. Walk out if you have to. Should they continue and you have failed to acknowledge it, leave. Just because you have failed to shut your kid up and have given up, doesn't mean everyone else should have to deal with it. I'm all for it should the parent fail to control their child.

- Response by sillysquids2, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

Yes. Some restaurants like McD welcome and provide for kids. People who go there expect kids.

But other restaurants are not suitable for kids. It is reasonable for adults to be able to enjoy a kid free zone.

Talk about a buzzkill!

- Response by wendyshoefitz123, A Player, Female, Who Cares?

I do favour no kids allowed options for some restaurants, some resorts, but not supermarkets etc. Parents should leave tired children home but shopping is a must.
I do think parents who drag children to expensive restaurants then they cry or scream all through the meal wreck the experience for other diners. Resorts..adult only and family should be a choice..Nobody who doesn't have children or is on a romantic holiday wants children under their feet on vacation. Parents with children would feel more comfortable in family friendly resorts too. Rosey

Don't get me wrong, I like kids, but as a teacher, dealing with other people's kids all day, I have to say, I'm very much in favor of kid-free zones. I think if I could redirect the misbehaviors (while out in public, not a work) I wouldn't mind so much having kids around. I find it really difficult to be out and about, see a kid (outrageously) misbehaving and not being able to say anything to the child or the parent.

- Response by 1browneyedgirl, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

As a parent of 3 kids (now teenagers) I can honestly say it is so irritating to hear crying bratty kids. Keep in mind a cry of being hurt is a completely different sound than a cry of being bratty. Not sure about supermarkets but for restaurants definately the no small children policy works for me. If I want to hear kids I will go to McDonalds, Burger King or Chuck E. Cheese where "a kid can be a kid". Specific restaurants are geared for kids or families so why not have some that are for adults!

- Response by alwayssorry, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Seattle, Who Cares?

I favor a "no-kids" policy for places like bars, restaurants, and hair salons.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I favor no kids policies COMPLETELY! To a degree though. If your child needs a booster seat and will not listen to you. You're out. I don't know about everyone else here, but my children behaved when we went out. There were no temper tantrums or the like, because they knew we would hire a babysitter and they would stay home next time. If you can NOT control your kid at home do NOT bring him to the restaurant.

- Response by painter3459, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Self-Employed

They offer special places for kids, why not for adults?

If people have crying, screaming kids that act like they just crawled out from under rocks, they should not expose others to their bad behavior anyhow.

If we must make it a stated policy, with a sign on the door, so be it. That is what people get for spawning Creatures From Hell.

I'm all for it. There are so many times that I'm someplace trying to enjoy myself and there are some children running around or screaming at the top of their lungs and the parents are doing nothing at all.

At my job there are restrictions on when children can and can't be in certain areas. Yes the parents get mand but i totally understand.

I applaud the practice of no kids allowed

the public will tell the managers what they want.

I'm not for a NO kids policy. Because how can you say that. And where does it stop. What is needed is parents to stop being friends and start being parents. I think its sad that people so often compliment me on my polite girls. that is what is wrong with so many people today.

- Response by bellabyrdie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

I support the policy I also suggest that parents should be fined if there kids don't behave.

Okay. We'll start saying "No kids".

And then "No elderly". They're loud and obnoxious too.

And then "No handicapped" They take up space.

And then "No drinkers" They make noise and vomit everywhere.

And then "No men" They are more likely to shout and be unruly.

And then "No women" They're less likely to order a lot of food. Bad for business.

.....Do you see where I'm going with this?

It's just too "big brother" or "german fascist" to weed out the 'undesirables' like that.

All people have a right to live on this earth. Maybe you need to learn to LIVE WITH the fact that others have children. Children are a fact of life, and to stomp your foot and say "NO NO NO NO I DONWANNNA" is to be as childish as they are.

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!You cant really blame the kids, i blame the parenting skills, bring on the Nanny! I work hard and when i go out for dinner and drinks, or fly a long distance nothing irritates me more than misbehaved screaming children, so kudos to the restaurants and others that have banned or charge for bratty kids. sue

- Response by shush56, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Vancouver

I think this is stupid. There is PLENTY of places kids are not allowed to be in anyway being under age. There is plenty of resorts out there for vacationing that do not allow kids as well. The reason there is "bratty kids" out there is due to lack of parenting. Some of that "lack of parenting" is due to the fact if parents correct their children in public some other uptight person is quick to complain and call the police. It is so stupid. I don't know many parents who take their kids to "upscale" restaurants anyway but a place like Outback, Chilis whatever is somewhere I take my kids. Perhaps if people would get their sticks out of their butts on disclipine then perhaps this "out of control" and "brattiness" would not be happening.