My Thoughts Are Not What You Think.
Sex & Intimacy / 11:31 AM - Wednesday July 20, 2011

My Thoughts Are Not What You Think.

A few weekends ago I attended a big picnic here in

the city. For many who attended one of 2 things

happened. They either got their car towed or they

got booted. That day many folks got booted and

quite a few got towed.

Now the other dynamic is that the picnic was

attended by predominantly black folk. So do you

think that it was a good planning by the

Department of Revenue or something else?

Update: July 20, 2011.
First of all no Im not pulling the race card. Clearly if some had actually read what the opening statement was they would have known that. Here's a little more info. People were parked on a street that was no parking it actually doesn't have parking meters on the street.Before the cars were towed there was an announcement made by the people who gave the picnic telling people where they couldn't park and if cars were parked on those streets they would be towed. Some people listened others didn't those who didn't got towed. After about 20 minutes of waiting for people to move their cars about 20 tow trucks moved in and towed cars. They sponsors provided parking packages,the people in my group did the parking package so we were cool. As for the boots if you have three tickets here you get booted so they went down the streets in the area and racked up. There were blocks full of people with boots. Thats what they do. Heck my brother was at the airport dropping someone off and got a boot in the airport lot. So me I don't think it was a matter of race,I think it was a matter of good planning. The DOR knew that there would be a lot of people at the event and that it would be a good chance to get money and guess what they racked up. The tows were $165 each and they towed hundreds of cars and who knows what the boots were...but their were blocks of cars booted.

- Asked by phenomenal1woman, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Chicago

I think it was a case of people failing to act properly in a public setting and people failing to park legally/pay their meters, etc.

- Response by sillysquids2, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

I bet over 90% of the victims voted for the scumbags in city hall.

Maybe its time for you all to get together and go visit the home of your local city counselor, perhaps "boot" or tow his/her car while you are there.

That happened here and the incident is still being investigated. There was a whole parking lot full of cars that were towed, even though the event arranged for that lot to be designated parking for them. That is why I would never park downtown--take the bus instead.
Another time there were scores of people arrested at a peaceful gathering. It was finally ruled an illegal action, as I suspect this towing incident will be in the end.
I think the city actively looks for these kinds of opportunities to issue tickets--hence more revenue.
Here the tow truck drivers contract with the city for certain areas of town. So it is one hand receiving favors from the other hand and then doing favors for them in return.
If the car is booted, I believe they have to have more to stand on--since that is only to be done if outstanding tickets remain or there is the existence of an arrest warrant.

My car was illegally towed once out of my residence lot, and the guy tried to charge me over $200.00 to get it back. I yelled at him until he gave me my car back for free, and made sure we signed a paper to that effect with me receiving my own copy. He still sent me a bill two days later!!
He looked like someone that just escaped prison, and I think they are equal opportunity towers!!!

I think they should have let people have fun for once.Shame on them.

Cars get towed if they're parked in places where parking is prohibited or if their car is being repossessed for nonpayment. I'm not sure but from what I understand, the only way cars get a boot put on them is for unpaid traffic violations. So, if the people were parked in no parking zones or "parking for customers only" spots then why shouldn't they have gotten towed? If their cars got booted for violating the law then, those people should learn to obey the law. If people are obeying the law they won't be affected by some conspiracy to gather them all together to "trap" them and take their cars ....and if all those cars were towed illegally or wrongfully booted then those people have a right to sue.

Where was the picnic?
Is it a common picnic spot?
Is it private property?
Have other people that have gathered there been told to disperse?
Were the people that were towed parked illegally?
Were the meters empty for the folks that got towed?
Why did they get booted?

I think you have more questions to ask before you play the race card just to make sure all of the ends are covered. If you can answer all of these questions and still don't see that anything could have been handled differently by the picnickers or saw no harm or legal issue, then I'd say that it very well maybe a race issue.

- Response by attenuation, A Thinker, Female, 22-25, Cincinnati, Financial / Banking