Taking a job for way less money
Career / 11:32 AM - Sunday July 17, 2011

Taking a job for way less money

I got fired 2 weeks ago and went on some interviews. I received a job offer, but the salary is much less then what I was earning before. I was thinking about taking the job until I could find something better. However, I would have a hard time paying my bills (but not as hard if just on unemployment) and even harder time looking for another job that pays well. Plus, I don't like accepting a job if I really have no plans to stay. I have to give my decision on Monday and I'm torn what to do.

Should I take a job that I know I won't like because of the pay or wait it out for a better job?

Update: July 18, 2011.
I ended up counter-offering and got a little bit more money, plus learned that the company pays 100% for the employee's health insurance after the 90 day probation. Still less than what I'm used to - but much better than unemployment. Thank you for all your kind responses!

I think you should wait for a better job. Also you should be working at job you like I am sorry you got fired!

I know how it feels to be in that position, been there. Take the job. Rethink your goals. You are now working to gain a higher income. Unless you are a CEO or Exsecutive officer in a company, you are a temporary employee. Todays times dictate that to us everyday. Being on a job for 25 years or more is a thing of the past for most. You must as we all find a method or way to become self providing monetarily. Unemployment benefits alone will only drain your savings. We live on the edge untill we fall and wake up to reality. I had my wake up call. Now its your turn. Take the job untill you find your way to sustain yourself. Tell all the jobs to; ( I'll let you fill in your own blanks. )

- Response by nomadbum, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Self-Employed

It's either take the job and have money or take the unemployment and have your pride. You pick.

Millions of us are working for less money that we ust to and paying higher prices for the things we buy and it will continue to get worse as big biz has the upper hand now again

Employers like to see a work history with few gaps in employment. Take the lower paying job but keep looking. It will look better on your resume. Good luck!

- Response by stormyweather1, A Sportif, Female, 46-55

I can understand you not wanting to take another job when you have no intentions of staying, but are you 100% you will receive unemployment? If you are certain you will then you might want to look elsewhere. Good luck!

- Response by msgg, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Managerial

You're kinda short changing the company that wants to hire you if you accept the job knowing you're going to leave. Personally, I would take the unemployment (for which you've paid into) and look for something. After a few months and you still haven't found anything then take the lower paying job. As someone had mentioned, gaps in employment on your resume sends up red flags.

- Response by zerotohero2, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

How long would you stay at the job you don't really want?? I would try to stay at least 6 months, so you could at least use them as a reference. Make a plan... either take the job and committ to a year, and when that year is almost up start looking for what you want. Or take unemployment and keep looking for work. I think the first is better because you get another entry on your resume, more references and work experience (assuming this is in your field). It's up to you in the end though? Good Luck!

- Response by qtcnicole, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

Take the job and keep looking.

Go in with a great, can-do attitude, and be prepared to make a difference while you're there. You never know - a promotion or opportunity to make more moeny might even open up while you're there. At the very least, you'll have a good reference once you move on.

- Response by lisbethhealth43, A Creative, Female, 46-55, London

Take the job! I have never understood those who hold out for a better job only to find themselves still collecting unemployment 6 mos down the line. As you said you would be making more then if you were on unemployment which means this is the better short term option. I say accept the job and continue to look for something else.

Is it better than unemployment and/or could lead to something better within the organization?? A bird in hand...

- Response by gibran, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Miami, Self-Employed