Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Active Questions

Active Questions

How do i find out if the kid is mine
Family & Parenting / 4:38 AM - Saturday July 16, 2011

how do i find out if the kid is mine

I was in a relationship with a girl about 6 years ago and she ended up having a kid. we had a horrible relationship and we were both using drugs. She ended up saying that she cheated on me and that the kid wasn't mine. Well now almost 6 years later i talked to someone that said they ran in to my x and her kid and that the girl who is now about 6 years old looks exactly like me. So now its looking like i have a 6 year old daughter that I have never met. What do i do now?

- Asked by eternity777, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35

Read more about the Rating System

You get in contact with your ex and ask her for permission to do a DNA test. That will cost you some pride, and about $500.00.

Then, if the child does turn out to be yours, it will cost you a lifetime of parenthood and about two million dollars.

No matter what, you do not let the child know what is up until your question is answered by the lab.

Regardless of where you stand on the matter, the love of a child is priceless..........


- Response by beemerdoc, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Celebrity

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

It depends what you want. Do you want to play a part in the kids life? Go through the expense of getting DNA testing done, including going through court. What, you think anyone can approach any mother telling them "I want a DNA test done because I think that kid is mine"? Hell no. The law protects kids from random people asking for DNA tests. And if you're the father, do you want to change the birth certificate, get custody, be responsible for child care/support?

Or just leave it alone because its not a good idea to kick a sleeping dog.

On the other hand, if the ex tells you the kid is yours, and you don't want the kid, sue her for defmation. A court can't order you to give DNA to determine paternity. Can you imagine if every woman out there rang your doorbell and said their kid was yours, and you had to submit to DNA testing? That's wrong too.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

Rating Received:

You do what any father would do go to the courts after you find them and say I believe this is my daughter and I want pay child support if its my kid and I need you to give DNA sample. She shouldn't of said that just because she cheated doesn't mean it wasn't yours. If you had sex and put your thing in her thing you should of know there was chance she could of been wrong. Some women are wrong maybe she was hoping it was the other guys and thought you wouldn't be a good father.

- Response by twilightzone85, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Milwaukee, Food Service

Rating Received:

get a dna test and set up the child support

- Response by bigcurt, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Pittsburgh, Self-Employed

Rating Received:

I am quessing that your interested in getting to know this kid if it's yours. A DNA test would be a good idea if she say's no. Your going to need to get some legal representation. Is it possible that it's wishful thinking on your part. It's been six years.

- Response by fabulous68, A Life of the Party, Female, 46-55, Sacramento, Home Maker

Rating Received:

Just ask her and if then get a DNA test.

- Response by Veronica71276, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

Well, the best way to save money is call Maury Povich and to be famous!

Seriously, call her and ask her for coffee and ask her about the kid, if she said it's your kid then you need a DNA test. You know what to do after that.

- Response by azianchemistry, A Player, Female, 46-55, San Francisco, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

What do you want out of the situation? I know its not feeling right not finding out, but you need to be ready of whatever outcome it is, either way, you get to understand yourself more.

- Response by celestial029, A Creative, Female, 29-35, Auckland

Rating Received:

Start by asking the ex if you can have a paternity test done. Chances are she'll say no, and you'll have to take her to court to get one. Beware though, that if you do this and it's yours, then you're going to be on the hook for 18 years of child support. But in Minnesota, you can also argue for visitation rights to your child.

- Response by lioness21, A Player, Female, 29-35, Consulting

Rating Received:

Get a lieyer and ask for a DNA test.

- Response by greenwind, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Construction

Rating Received:

sue her for a paternity test.
take her to court and ask the court to make her give a paternity test to prove/disprove this.

- Response by mobysdick, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Rating Received: