How do I keep water from getting in my ears when I shower?
Diet & Health / 4:35 AM - Thursday July 07, 2011

Everytime I get ear infections. It got so bad once that I tried to wear ear plugs and it made it worse. I don't know what to do. I have a bad right ear now, and it keeps getting worse. On top of that I have been to my ENT he said it looked fine to him. It hurts deep in the right ear, no matter how hard I try to keep the water out. Is there anyway, I tried to wash my hair separatly but it does not see to help.My hearing is getting bad now so any help is apreciated.

What type of ear plugs did you use? Using different plugs may yield better results. You might also try putting 91% alcohol drops in each ear when you get out of the shower. The alcohol with force the water out and kill any bacteria that may be lingering.

- Response by azuwish, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, St.Louis

I would assume you're showering. Try bathing instead. That should help, for a start. Otherwise, maybe a shower cap over your ears and doing your hair separately, but being very careful about it. Or go see a different doctor to get a second opinion on the problem.

- Response by heavenly666, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, London, Administrative

I have an unnatural amount of earwax,and as I get older, the wax continues to come.
Mostly, the ENT doctor should have been able to give you some helpful advice, which he did not!
Depending on if your ear is plugged up with wax, and needs to be cleaned with drops and forced warm water?
Also, one of my ENT doctors told me that I would NEVER hear again out of my right ear(for it was closed) I went to another ENT doctor, who suggested that I return to him once a week for mist treatments.
After about 2 months of doing the mist, my ear hearing was returned/restored to me!
Therefore, wax or some other particle could be logged inside your ear, preventing you from hearing.

I have the same problem and last year the water caused yeast to develop in my ears. I use an over the counter ear drop that is for "swimmer's ear" and it gets rid of the water. It is basically an alcohol solution that dries the water.

- Response by msgg, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Managerial

Did you ever consider using earplugs? The waterproof kind swimmers use.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

When showering use a shower cap to cover your ears or take baths. You don't HAVE to wash your hair in the shower you could wash it in the kitchen sink if you have one of those "sprayer things" I forgot what they are called... you could also buy one and attach it to your faucet.

- Response by qtcnicole, A Thinker, Female, 26-28

Take a bath instead

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative