If a wild animal attacks your dog or cat, is it OK to shoot it? how about your kid?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 10:07 PM - Monday June 27, 2011

I'm just curious what people on this site think - what if you were in your yard, and a wild animal like a coyote or raccoon attacked your pet - would it be OK, do you think, to shoot the wild animal to protect your pet?

how about if it was your child?

- Asked by curvysmartgirl, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Wild animals don't go around attacking pets or kids generally speaking, unless they are ill, freaked out, or possibly starving.

I don't own a gun, so I won't be shooting anything. I'd come to the rescue of my critters or family with a shovel possibly...give it a good bash!

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

If it attacked a pet, I'd bet on the coyote; if it attacked ANY kid in my dead wild animal.

- Response by stillagoodguy1, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Political / Government

If something was going to attack my kid or my pet I'd do whatever I could to protect it,even if that meant shoot it,so be it. If I had to take a charge oh well. At most I'd get probation anyways. It would be so worth it.

Yup, you can kill it but don't dispose of it. It will need to be tested for rabies. Not only can you kill wild animals that attack but in most if not all states, if a dog attacks and kills your farm animals, you can kill it.

- Response by mistyjean, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

I have before and I would again, if necessary. Raccoons are very territorial. Having a raccoon walk through my yard was cause enough to call Smith and Wesson. My dog is too playful and defenseless to treat it like the threat it is. Also, my neighhhhhhbor's horses might be in danger. Coyotes live in packs and team up on larger animals.

It all depends how much of an immediate or future threat the critter is.

- Response by beachinbeachboy, A Jock, Male, 46-55, Consulting

Sooooooo...what would you do, Watch ANYTHING Hurt/Attack your Pet or Child ????

Are you that passive to even ask a Stupid question like this ??

Are you Kiding ???

- Response by hedo2nj, A Player, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

I don't know if its legal, but that would be a secondary concern for me at that point. If an attack like that happened, I would take the necessary steps to stop it. If I was later charged or fined, or whatever it is that an over reaching government does, I would consider fighting it later. But no raccoon is going to gnaw on my kid when I have a weapon to stop it.

- Response by quikslvr, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Farming

Absolutely OK to shoot it under either of the situations you mentioned. You know your boy Rick Perry was jogging last year ,saw a fox or something coming at him, pulled a pistol and dropped his ass?

- Response by newyorkjoe, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Lawyer

Shoot? ... hell I would tear it apart with my bare hands...

Yes a neighbor at our cabin in Northern Wisconsin shot a bear that was going after his dog that was chained up.