Are there any African countries that are good places to live?
Race, Religion & Politics / 2:57 PM - Saturday June 25, 2011

Not to be racist, but it seems that if you want to live in a cool place, I can think of European countries, Asian countries (like Singapore, Japan, etc.) or South American countries (Costa Rica) that would be great places to live, but I can't think of any African countries... what do you think?

Also, if African countries are pretty much all awful places to live, why do black Americans want to call themselves African-Americans, want to adopt "African values", etc.? I mean, I get that they suffered a lot of discrimination coming over here, but so did the Chinese (working on the railroads in California) the Japanese (interned during WWII), the Irish (no dogs or Irish allowed signs) and so on. OK, blacks had it worse, but still... they live in a country where they can be mayors, senators, even President, they can be CEOs and doctors, why not enjoy living in this free and prosperous country?

Update: June 25, 2011.
BTW, I'm not trying to be popular, so I don't care if my post offended someone. I am just trying to be honest. I don't get why we can't have an honest conversation about race without people calling each other racist. The reality is that if you're poor it's hard, whether you are white or black or Asian. But, if you're black or Hispanic, you do have affirmative action. But, does that really help the poor blacks? Most of the time, it seems affirmative action helps the sons and daughters of middle class blacks and Hispanics. Plus, there are poor Korean kids who struggle, and poor whites in coal mining country of Appalachia with generational poverty.... So, why not do a poverty-based program - regardless of race, if your family makes less than the poverty rate, you get some extra help. That would make more sense. But, the minute you say stuff like that, people think you're a racist. But, in fact, you're just pointing out a reality - there are plenty of black and Hispanic doctors and lawyers and they don't need more help. But the kids born to welfare mothers (black and white) do need help.

Bugger Africa, Make it Australia D

Yes, most of Africa are part of the so-called developing nations with many of them not doing all that much developing. Still, calling oneself African-american is not about values, it is about heritage. I am half-Polish by way of my mom whose parents emigrated from Poland. I take some pride of my heritage and enjoy some of its customs, especially around Christmas, but it does not define me. Regarding what you say about America being free and prosperous, I don't believe it is either prosperous or free anymore except maybe for Billionaires and Republicans.

- Response by wiserman, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

We ALL came from somewhere; most often SOMEWHERE ELSE.

And, all cultures have pride in where they came from. Part of what makes this country so rich and unique is its ability to mix and blend and absorb aspects of ALL the world's cultures under one umbrella and have it work harmoniously as it does.

Being an American has never meant giving up your ethnic heritage or pride in one's personal history.