How hard is it to get a government or federal job?
Career / 12:49 PM - Thursday June 16, 2011

I see so many postings for opening for government jobs. How hard is it to get those jobs? Do they only hire graduates with degrees in criminal justice? Do they require super high gpa?

I am a HS grad and worked for the USPS. I saw a now hiring sign in a postal lobby and applied, passed the test and was hired. That was 7 years ago when I applied and the USPS is going down hill now. Keep applying for every job you want to apply for. You might also try the City as these jobs pay well with good benefits. Apply for clerical jobs just to get your foot in the door. You must have a clean criminal background. They are not going to hire someone with a shady past or DWI's nowdays. Those ads you see on Career builder saying "now hiring for blah blah" are fake.....The postal one just give you study material for a FEE. I just took a Civil Service test for a Clerical position at my local Courthouse. Go to City websites, County websites and start there if you have to.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, 46-55, Minneapolis, Who Cares?

I'm a straight white male with a college degree and professional license.

It's IMPOSSIBLE for me to get a government job.

Now if your a gay ethnic muslim woman with children and no husband....They'll pay you and not even expect you to work!!!

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

Something that some folks have overlooked is the points system in regard to being hired for Civil Service.

It has to do with being a Veteran or a Veteran with a partial disability which a lot of them have and it doesn't have to be like missing an arm or leg or anything; it can be a 33% disability based on developing asthma or hearing loss or carpal tunnel syndrome, sleep apnea, etc. while, "in".

So going in, you can be a disadvantage but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying.

"Career fields", such as Legal, Contracting, Finance, etc. can be a lot harder to get into and part of it has to do with, "the buddy system".

The points and education and such count for a lot but I can guarantee that also having a friend on the inside vouching for you helps a lot.

Still, plenty of people do get hired who have no military service and don't "know anyone" and as someone else stated, it partly depends on the line-of-work you are interested in and like someone ELSE said, there is also NAF jobs (they have their own website) and DeCA, the defense commissary agency and they have their own website too.
Good-luck!

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Um, are you expecting a serious answer? Might help if you specified what jobs you are referring to. Janitor? Then no, they dont require degrees in criminal justice. FBI agent? Perhaps. The posting themselves SAY what the requirements are, all you gotta do is read them. As for GPA, for the vast majority of jobs they dont require a super high GPA, but there are probably a few that do. Again, what jobs and what federal agencies are you talking about? Your question is so vague its impossible to answer, be more specific.

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

You can be a Congressman if you know how to sext.

- Response by catscratch, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Executive

I've quit applying to civil service jobs. It's not worth my time to spend hours formatting things the way they want, then not even receive a phonecall.

For every (non-civil-service) job for which I have ever applied, I have received (at least) a phonecall. Unless I told them (during the phonecall) that I wasn't interested, I've been scheduled for an interview. I have had only two interviews that have not lead to job offers; one I blew the interview and the other I told them I didn't want the job.

A friend of mine has worked admin in civil service for 20+ years. She re-did my usajobs.gov resume to see if I had done something wrong. It didn't help. My credentials are outstanding, I have a clearance, and I've never had an interview, so it wasn't anything I said. I think the system doesn't work or they're hiring relatives. I just no longer bother applying to the civil service.

- Response by dendresdner, A Jock, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

Govt is incestuous, they only hire relatives.

- Response by drunkmonk, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35

If you are a black female, its easy. For all others, not so much.

I work for the government and it seems every lady/person who does volunteer work and does it well ends up with a permanent job...right now...the govt is not hiring..in fact it is rumored to be that three have to leave for one new hire..try NAF jobs in your local area...if u have business classes (8) or more..try contracting positions...but right now...no luck.

- Response by hwyrider, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired

Check out the Civil Service website. There are certain qualifications. There are many jobs with many qualifications, no you don't have to have a degree in Criminal Justice. No need for a super high GPA, but oftentimes there are exams to be taken and those with the highest scores get hired first. A college degree does help.

- Response by graziella, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

gpa is not at all a matter only references or talent really works

regards
http://www.weboldest.co m

- Response by discountcode, A Guy Critical, Male, 26-28, New York

The key to applying for a federal job is to use the official website. There are a lot of bootleg websites out there. The official website for ALL federal jobs is usajobs.gov. That is the only official website. Register on usajobs. Create a resume and then you can apply for a job electronically. Tehre are no bunches of forms to fill out. An online resume for Title 5 jobs and an application for patient care positions, and the background investigation form if you get the job. that's it. It is not rocket science. If I can get a government job, wth my short attention span then anybody can!

- Response by istaywired, An Alternative Girl, Female, 46-55, Political / Government

Wow! That takes some doing! I have seen MANY stupid responses here on AO over the years, the one from Mr. Married Guy, Male, 29-35, Self-Employed, has to be the dumbest comment I have seen on AO in a long long time! Congrats mr anonymous married guy, you win the stupid award! (which explains why you never got hired!)