Why do guys text hey, but then not respond back after you've responded? whats the point?
Dating / 7:37 AM - Thursday June 09, 2011

why do guys text hey, but then not respond back after you've responded? whats the point?

Update: June 09, 2011.
So the consensus is he's either an immature boy, or that he just wants to let me know "he's thinking of me" what ever the reason I am the wrong person to play this little game with and more than anything I find this extremely annoying. If he keeps sending me these "I'm thinking of you" messages he will soon learn that he is the furthest thing from my mind thank's for all my responses

- Asked by avaloren54, A Career Woman, Female, 22-25, Student

Texting is like "two people on both sides of a door"....unable to communicate and playing silly games of texting and phone tag. Games people play, since the invention of texting....

What happen to the good ole days, of seeing one another face to face? A dinner for two, a movie in the evening, dancing until 2 in the morning, breakfast afterwards?

Maybe you'll find a "man" who will cherish you like no other, rather than a "boy" who wishes to string you along. There's someone who is serious about you. You just have to hang onto this person, whenever they come along, and you'll know just how serious a man can be....

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

Because seemingly, the guys that are texting you are lame...

- Response by syncaset, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

What's the point of texting 'hey'? If that's the extent of his message, why even respond?

Who knows...why do men do half of the stuff they do? Men are from Mars and women are from Venus!

- Response by msgg, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Managerial

They just want to see if you jump to answer.

I guess it's a form of saying Hi how are you what's up but to not respond after you've responded is rude. I'd ignore him

The short answer, because women like yourself keep "responding" to single words that form no sentences or questions at all. It is to keep themselves on your mind without having to do much of anything else. That's why they ignore the response. Which I believe is pretty selfish, immature, and rude. There are men that have said if you're not asking a question and you're just making a statement or basically giving them a text like the one this guy gave you. They will not respond.

Because, they don't text or call people when they don't have anything to say. Hence, the limited "Hey" and that was it. I wouldn't worry about it. When you stop responding to singular words. He'll realize he needs to actually say something. Hey is supposed to be saying "Hello." And, truthfully, a simple "Hello" back would have sufficed. If you tried to have or expected a continuous conversation via text, that really was on you.

Because, "hey" to this guy didn't mean he desired the same. Or, at that particular time he might not have had the time to text back. Also, there are some cell phones that have delays or delete messages. So, you might not get an immediate response back. Either way, I would put about as much effort in my response as the person put in their text. IJS

He's just making sure that he's on your mind one way or the other :oP

Guys generally aren't great text fans, it's just to touch base and let you know he thought of you :o)

- Response by cam80, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35

Its acknowledgement to let you know you were on there mind at the time... well atleast for me Ill text hello or hey or good afternoon and thats it just to point out they were on my mind at that specific time :-)

- Response by MYSTERYLADY22, A Creative, Female, 26-28, Pittsburgh, Lawyer