What can be used if I don't have corn starch
Baking & Desserts / 8:25 AM - Sunday May 29, 2011

what can be used if I don't have corn starch

trying to make a cobbler

Arrow root will work. It has the same thickening power and doesn't really taste that much different. You do realize that you can mix in AP flour instead of corn starch, right? You just won't have a "crystal clear" filling when it's finished baking.

- Response by fatguysmoking, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Hospitality

im not sure how it is spelled but i believe its it arrow root. but if your at home just trying thicken it you could try making a rue. just make sure you cook the rawness out of the flour when you make your rue. its like if you where making gravy keep stirring that flour and oil so it dont burn.

- Response by MrEats, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35

I actually prefer flour when making a cobbler - Cornstarch can give the filling that jellylike consistency, it's just a matter of taste.

- Response by DoodleDog1, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65