My boyfriend didn't get me a birthday gift, should I leave or should I stay?
Dating / 6:52 PM - Thursday May 19, 2011

We've been knowing each other for the better part of two years now but dating constantly for the last 8 months. For the past few weeks I've been saying baby lets go on vacation for my birthday, lets do this or that. Then with gas prices being so high I said well lets do something intown even found a really good deal and told him about it. A couple days before my birthday we somehow got into a small convo about bdays and I asked did he even know when mine was, he said of course. To back up up a couple months ago he told me about a girl he knew who was complaining that her guy didnt give her anything for her birthday and how he told her the guy didnt care about her at all if he didnt do something for her birthday. So yesterday he didnt even call until around 4:30pm and then he's like i just called to say happy birthday and that was it. a few minutes later I text him reminding him of that convo(but now i'm furious) he calls back and is like well i'm not good with gifts and i didnt know what to get you, what do you want. I'm like its to late now it feels forced. then he calls me from the mall at 8:50, mall closes at 9, baby they dont have it what else do you want. Still ended up with nothing. Didn't even see him before my birthday was over. Am I wrong to be upset and considering calling it quits. I just don't know what to do. MEN HELP PLEASE?

I'm not a man but when my husband and I were dating, he didn't understand the importance of birthdays either. I'm from a family who makes a huge deal about birthdays but my husband is from a family who isn't so we had different expectations. Also, birthdays aren't usually as important to men as they are to women. The first couple of years we were together, I was majorly disappointed. In fact, the first year I was in tears because I thought he didn't care. Since then, he has come to understand my expectation of having a very special day on my birthday. We joke about the first couple of years now and he's actually told me "I'll never make that mistake again". You just need to let him know how you feel about it and what you expect. Some guys aren't good with surprises or guessing. Men, as much as we love them, can be dense about this stuff. I have found that my husband likes to give me what I want, but I have to be very specific about it. Happy Birthday to you!

- Response by mrslml, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Managerial

Can I answer even if I am not a man? I would be sooooo mad. this would be a breaking up point for me. I would not speak to him until he shows up at my door with flowers, candy and a nice gift card or jewerly...