Should my boyfriend of over a year be expected to take me to his 30th year high school reunion?
Dating / 8:13 PM - Tuesday May 17, 2011

We are both divorced, single parents. He met his ex in high school, but she will not be there. He is not a cheating type, but he is 12 years my senior and more 'together' than I am career-wise. I worry that he will meet an old flame or a woman his age who has it more together than me, as I am a non-traditional student still working it all out. It is also being held at a hotel bar. I told him I'm not comfortable with him going without me.

It would have been nice of him to invite you, but he's not obligated to. You wouldn't know anybody there, so you probably would not have much fun. You'd feel left out while everybody else is re-hashing old times. And, if you're as clingy as you sound, he would not have much fun either. Get over your insecurities, let him go without you, and tell him to have fun. If you can't trust him to go to a high school reunion without you, you shouldn't be with him at all.

Wow. You sure don't trust him. It's his reunion, let him go alone if he wants. You shouldn't have to watch him every minute. If he loves you, he isn't going to be cheating on you. And, if you can't trust him, you haven't got a relationship anyway.

Sp he hasn't asked you to go with him? Why not? I would think it would be proper for him to ask you to accompany him and that you would go, especially if he see's youre a bit insecure with everything. But you need to be careful that you're just not coming across as insecure because this could also be a turn off to him and will push him in that direction to really want to go alone. Talk it out, and if you he does go alone and you feel he is trustworthy, then trust him.

- Response by marker55, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35

Don't be silly. Men don't care about status. Women care about status. Men care about looks, and that means youth. The idea that he is going to run off with some old bag 12 years older than you on the basis that she is one notch higher up the corporate ladder is pretty damn ridiculous.

- Response by unluckyloveatfirstsighter, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

I have my 30th reunion this year as well as my bf is upset I don't expect him to come with me. It's not that I want to rekindle an old flame, but what fun would it be for him to hang by my side while I'm swapping high school memories with old friends?

In fact, his reasoning was very much like yours. He's afraid some old flame will come along and I'll run off with him. Maybe, I would just like some time to hang with my old friends and reminisce without having to worry about someone's insecurities.

- Response by hotsytotsy4u, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

No, you aren't a wife. He's with people he's known for 40 years. You are a jill come lately.

It sounds to me like you have a very insecure sense of your boyfriends ability to be faithful toward you. You shouldn't have to fear your boyfriend hooking up with another person if you are in a strong relationship. However insecure your feeling may be your impression may be correct and if that's the case you may really have to reconsider whether to continue your relationship.

Your boyfriend should totally respect your desire to go with him to his reunion. If he doesn't want you tagging along that is not a good sign in my humble opinion.

- Response by wanttoknowwhatsreal, A Creative, Male, 29-35

This is your own insecurity!!
Yes he should be able to go with out you