Is the economy hard for You in making ends meet? How are You holding up?
House & Home / 1:37 PM - Tuesday May 17, 2011

I live in an exclusive neighborhood, beautiful brick and vinyl homes, manicured lawns, kids riding around in golf carts, golf course next door, one way in/one way out, no crimes and so forth...

There are also about 11 homes up for sale by either a realtor or owner selling, and about 7 homes abandoned/foreclosed... .

Times must be getting bad lately. My next door neighbor (wife beater) just went through a divorce about a year ago. I noticed he quit having his garbage container picked up a while back. Today...the power company came out, changed the meter, disconnected his service, and left a red tag to call for reconnection and fees....

What next?

I hate seeing my neighbors going downhill and losing their homes, because of the economy and other matters...

- Asked by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

Luckily, my bills are paid on time. Other than a mortgage I have no debt. My savings account is almost nonexistant and money for family entertaining is extremely rare. My home is now worth over $125,000 less than it used to be....But we're rich in love. LOL

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

We have always lived within our means but we see a lot of people barely getting by. Certainly not living in poverty but not able to keep up with the old lifestyle they may have had. A lot of people who moved here (California - we have a ton of transplants) have moved back home to wherever they came from.

- Response by mrslml, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Managerial

18 homes in your neighborhood are distressed. But how many total homes are there? That's the key that you're leaving out.

Out here in Jersey (and you can pretty much imply its not a nice neighborhood), I would say roughly 5% of homes are up for sale or are in some type of foreclosure. Then again, roughly 5% of homes are also being renovated/upgraded. New construction has slowed down. 50% of completely new construction remains unfinished in various stages (foundation hole, boarded up doors/windows, etc). There are many more vacant apartment signs. I've also noticed a lot more people are planting gardens. There is new construction by demolition of old homes, and these projects are rapidly finished because the owners can actually pay for it.

But Jersey is also a highly educated state, with lots of high tech industry. I don't think we're hurting as much as other areas of the country.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

I think it's tough for everyone.
I have money due on Thursday to cope with the boring bills, but I've no money until then.
I went busking today. It was so tough getting money into the guitar case. After an hours work, I had enough to buy a bottle of wine or a good meal. I ate yesterday and the cat has enough food so I opted for a little piece of not worrying where my business is going.
I can't lose my home, I lost that last year. I throw as much money as I can get at my rented room.
Roll on the upturn and people booking live music for parties again!

- Response by 1jealousguy, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, London, Artist / Musician / Writer

Yes, your home loses much of its value when there are many abandoned homes on your street. We need to thank all the liberal/Obama voters for the economic disaster -- for example the Community Redevelopment Act that forced the housing bubble.

We're fine except that our taxes have increased.

We make too much for most tax breaks and not enough for the breaks of the wealthy BUT two of us are retired from the military and the, "old man", has a good job with the Dept of Energy and I work p/t and am a partner in a store and our older daughter works at a store part time and has since she was 15.

Our son has been grown and gone for years. He's a law-enforcement officer for the Iowa tribe and he's also a farmer/rancher.

We work and we watch our money and live within our means and although I live in a town much like yours, and although we DID live in one of the highest foreclosure areas in the country and there were some nice houses that were abandoned most of those houses have since been bought at a great rate and fixed.

In fact, the house we referred to as, "the crack house", stood empty for over a year.
Now, the house and the yard are one of the nicest on the block.

Things ARE getting better but I guess it depends upon where one lives and their personal experiences.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Times are tough, but some people never prepare for rainy days. Life for them will always have highs and lows because the economy will always go up and down. If you don't have a nest egg. don't buy the lastest electronic gadget, expensive tennis shoes and jeans. Until people adopt the attitude stop trying to keep up with the Jones there will be rocky times when the price of gas and mere neccessities go up. If lenders would allow home loans to be assumed the housing situation would improve dramatically.

- Response by nowornever, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Financial / Banking

Now this is sad, Habitat for Humanity has stopped building homes in our area because they cant even get the poor to take them. Doesn't make sense but the poor can not even afford it...

At one point only two homes had people in them out of the whole block.Every one else lost their home.Sad to watch people empty a whole block.WHere do these poor people go after loosing it all.I am just hanging in there.

my income is down 70% in the last three years while the price of everything has went up I ust to live good now I just get by it suks