Why do women take on their husband's last name? I just don't get it. Why are they so eager?
Married Life / 5:12 PM - Sunday May 15, 2011

why isn't it the other way around?

I did not take my guy's name. I offered mine if he was just into name changing. But, he chose not to.

I think everyone should keep their name. Women and their history, too often get diluted through this ancient custom.

I think that when a couple has children, they should give the child the hyphenated name of both parents.

Only some women. My wife and I took eachothers name into ours. Just like John Lennon and Yoko Ono did. To become John Oko Lennon and Yokko Lennon Ono.

- Response by A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Other Profession

It dates back to when women were property. The name change signified that the woman no longer belonged to her father and now belonged to her husband.

In a world of equal partnerships, there should be more hyphenations.

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

What women? The United States and Islamic countries are pretty much the only ones where this is still widely praticed. In many countries, Belgium, Cambodia, Russia, Chile, Tawain, France, Italy, Maylasia, Korea- and that's to name a few. Women are required to keep the name on their original birth certificate, they cannot take their husbands name. Hell even in Iran most women do not change their names as to keep their previous identity. It is just stupid and shows you have no self respect to take your husband's name. In essence it is saying "I am worthless and my life up until now hasn't existed/had any meaning or value so now I will act as a child to you and pretend I don't exist as an individual.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?

I kept my name. I don't know why either. It's not enough that our kids has to take his last name and we have to too? What are we?

- Response by eq2000, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

I don't get it either. I refuse. I like my name. I would hypenate it but that's it. Me and my daughter have the same last name and I want it to stay that way til she's at least 18 anyway.

I am very traditional but I didn't take my husband's name. If he ordered me to I would but it has never even been brought up. I personally see no reason to change name unless you want children, in order to for it to be one family name.

- Response by Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I know people who decided on a name that they both would change their last name to. It makes a lot of sense to me.

I do want the same last name as the rest of my family once I'm married. I want the same name as my future-husband. However, its not that I specifically want his name, so much as I want ours to be the same, if its his, mine, or one we both decide on.

- Response by atuin, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

I personally think that it would be weird for a man to take on your last name. You must believe that women are superior to men and that tradition is nonsense. If men had the babies you might have a point, but..... they don't so it's just the way things are. I would be proud to have my husbands name and pass it on to his children. That way it is easier for them to find their history. If it was extremely common to do it both way that would be confusing and you would get, "so wait sir you used to be a smith and now you're a Johnson?" That just weirds me out.

- Response by A Hippie Chick, Female, 22-25, Retail

I don't get why you all are so hung up on taking a man's last name. I did it. I did the ultimate in feminist blasphemy and took on my husband's last name. And guess what!? I don't have an apron tattooed onto my torso. I'm career minded, finishing a degree in biochemistry, and very well respected by my husband. You all need to get over the name thing. My last name was, after all, my dad's last name. You can change my name, can't change my personality. If you're attributing so much self worth to a random pattern of letters, you need to reassess your merits in general.

- Response by xxmetooxx, Female, 29-35, Sacramento, Student