Why are todays children so disrespectful?
Family & Parenting / 9:55 AM - Monday May 09, 2011

I don't understand, why are children these days so disresptful? Children these days have no respect for their elders. They are spoiled and demanding and expect things to be handed to them. Don't want to work for it like the older generation did. They are stupid and lazy and most of all no manners. What happened?

Update: May 14, 2011.
First off, I like to thank everyone for their wonderful response. But I have to say that I think I broke the record with this question. I've been using this site for over a year and for the first time I got more than 50 responses. Over 50 responses, so I'm assuming that this is a very important topic, which needs to be brought to our attentions. Although few people didn't agree with me, many of you did which means I'm not just talking out of my ass. So the majority rule, just like the kids today.

- Asked by A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Other Profession

It's not the kid's, it's the parents.

Most kid's today are raising themselves because mommy and daddy are too busy dealing with their own bullshit or simply don't care enough to notice the kind of crap they're raising and turning loose on society! Everyone thinks I'm too hard on my kid's but at the end of the day my kid's stick out from the rest in our neighborhood because I simply will not tolerate them acting like selfish, rude little assholes. Your kid's are a reflection of who you are as a parent, why anyone would want to turn out misfits to further prove what failures they themselves are as human beings is beyond me.

very simply.. because their parents allow it.

- Response by luckycowgirl, A Player, Female, Who Cares?, Celebrity

Because there parent's let them get away with it. Kids will test you and it's up to you to set the limits. Paren'ts are too busy and too afraid to man up and set rules and stick to it. They are literally scared of there kids.

- Response by bfly36, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

There are still good kids out there. It's just not as common as it used to be. From my experience I have noticed the good kids find each other and stick together. It makes for wonderful freindships.
Too many parents are afraid of their kids beign mad at them and try and be their friends instead of parents.

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

I have to agree wholehearted with you!! Somewhere along the line parents gave up thier power and authority and that was a huge mistake!! Nowadays you can't swat them on the ass or they will call 911..duh!!

I would not DREAM of talking to my mother the way my kids talk to me.

parents spend less time with their children and discipline them less

They listen to conservative talk radio. They hear hatred spewed at everyone who isn't exactly like them. Read a few of these responses if you don't believe me.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Retail

In most cases the parents suck at their job. There are a few cases where even the best parents will have bad kids but most of the time kids act that way simply b/c a.their parents set a bad example and b. their parents let them get away with bad behavior.

There are exceptions to every rule but in general I say its the decay of the family. Moms and Dads both working, working longer hours, kids starting live at daycare, grandparents shuffeled off to nursing homes, and our youth being raised by public schools. Teachers who are afraid to correct bad behavior, parents who sue if they do, and so the inmates are running the asylum.

Family was always like the cornerstone of society. As it crumbles so does everything around it.

- Response by fluff47, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

This is an easy one to answer. Kids today, for the most part, are not receiving proper discipline. There are no consequences for bad behavior.

- Response by bookman, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

I am 92 yrs and have waTCHED IT ALL< THEse letters say it as it is and are wonderful.
I had a cat, It had a kitten.

The cat physically punnished the kitten. Will thE PEOPLe WhO DONT BElIEVE IN SMACKING A bUM please tElL ME HOW To pUNISH MOTHER CAT,? D

SOCIety is to blame, It no longer tolerates punishment of children,

They are sorry, I certainly agree,society does play a large part, and parenting of course.
What really gets me is the way their look is filled with hate.

They have not been beaten to submission by their parents.

- Response by movi, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Administrative

every generation says that about the next one, nothing new there.

Because they learn from their parents...who, themselves are disrespectful.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

I think it's because they're being judged by the children of yesterday.

- Response by alecsmart1, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Celebrity

why are todays children so disrespectful? because parents not only allow it, they teach it.

listen to the cantankerous way adults speak to one another, even when there are young ears present and clearly listening. parents speak to not only each other with disrespect, they speak to their children in the same way.

how is a child to learn how to handle a disagreement gracefully when they have such poor examples?

it's the parents.

- Response by darchie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Chicago

Because society and government have taken all discipline away.There are no consequences for anything they do.

- Response by eagerbeaver, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

Blame the parents and the way they are raised.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

How easy. Television is a cheap but-valid answer. But _I_ feel that the problem lies with Parents. Also ...

As a Society we are reaping the effects of well, Liberalism. There is _more_ to life than, "If it feels good to you, then just do it." What it takes are Good Parents, which _I_ had thank God. :-)

[In 1990 I earned a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the University of Minnesota. More than 5-years, I was able to Work my butt-off in Minneapolis.] <Brrr, I know!>

- Response by iamback, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Charlotte, Other Profession

I think it is the fault of the parents. The generation raising kids now were more latch key. And were left to their own devices. And so many of them didn't get good parenting and discipline so they pass it on to their child. Then their are the ones who didn't basiclly check out on their kids but were TOOO strict so the parents want to get away from that and put friendship with their children first always. Then forget they have to be the parents. Its a vicious cycle.

My kids of course have their whiny demanding days they are 5 and 7. But they do their work (homework, chores, and "daddy work"). Do what they are supposed to do and are polite. I think its sad that my kids saying No ma'm and Yes sir. Please, Thank you and please causes people to say wow they have such good manners. Its how they are supposed to behave.

- Response by bellabyrdie, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

hen I was a child the WHOLE vIllage took to discipling ALL the children.
Today you face legal action if you discipline anothers child,

It's the same old kids, it's the parents that don't discipline them. I wasn't disrespectful, so don't lump me in some generational group.

- Response by pinkskittles722, A Sportif, Female, 18-21, Fitness

Parents don't spend as much time with them as they used to, so the disciplining is not there. Some kids come out OK. Others seem very brash. I'm always struck by how ill mannered teen boys are, especially towards young women.

What happened is they were given everything and they feel entitled. Therefore you get them being rude. Parents these days are far to busy to actually teach their children manners. What you and i might find as rude their parents may find as being cute.

I'm 12 years old, the way I see it I'm not disrespectful at all.
I have all respect for everyone, even people who I hate.
Don't think tis' because of good parenting, because my childhood is, different.
'' Don't want to work for it like the older generation did ''
The older generation? I work for everything I do and I don't ask for nothing, living is enough for me.
I'm not stupid and lazy, I probaply listen to anyone who respects me.
Not because I'm afraid or so, just like that.
Many people always think children are disrespectful to policemen. (By children, I assume they mean over the age at 13 - 15?).
I honestly hate them, but that's just how I hate them in Sweden, because they're racist and I've seen what they have done, overpowerful because they're cops.
I don't want to do criminal things or be disrespectful to them though, I don't want to start stealing a chocolate bar, later break some windows.
Maybe later make a robbery in a school, after a while I might end up in jail for that?
I focus on my future.
Well, I don't know why I started talking about policemen.
Just wanted to tell you how I feel, I am not like other kids.
'' Like the old generation did''
I am the new generation, hehe.
The one who read the whole thing deserves an award, not the ones who did not read, just read the beggining or ending, or just scrolled his eyes at some of the lines.

Derdavill, from Albania, living in Sweden.

- Response by derdavill, A Career Man, Male, 66 or older, Moscow

Not so sure about the stupid part, but I would agree that many kids today do not have the responsibilities that I/we had growing up. I guess the idea that providing more for our children that what we had is catching up to some...

- Response by msgg, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Managerial

ahhh b Teenagers

That is not true. Years ago there were children who were disrespectful and spoiled as well. There are many kids who work hard at part time jobs and summer jobs and go to college or university.
There are lots of adults who sit at home and expect the government to take care of them, smoke dope, are couch potatoes..I would imagine years ago they were losers too and you can't expect more from their children. Rosey

Hmmm... I would say the exact opposite: little kids are funny, may be spoiled but surely not mean or disrespectful - just natural. Older kids, like 8+, are usually very nice, most of them are good-mannered by that age, and I wouldn't say they are lazy or stupid - on the contrary. I was much more spoiled when I was that age.

I do have experience with kids - I have my own boys, they have their friends and schoolmates, plus I do some interpreting for school exchange program, sometimes participate in lessons, plus I worked several monthes as an interpreter for a foreign child - going to school with her everyday - about 4 years ago. So I would have known if kids were as bad as you say... May be you happened to come across some kids with particularly bad characters? Surely that's not the norm. Also, I don't think that cultural differences between our countries play such a big role - people are basically the same everywhere.

- Response by air7, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

You know, you think that but it isn't the case. You only need to look at the crime statistics to see that crime today is significantly down from where it was when you were a kid. It makes no sense that parents overall wouldn't be doing a better job. It does make sense that parents overall would be doing a better job if they create fewer criminals and the like.

Here's a link to crime stats published by the FBI which show that crime is not even what it was at when your parents were kids and crime reporting was far worse back then so it's likely it's far lower than that.

- Response by patresi, An Intellectual Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

You apparently have little contact with the older generation. Spend some time with retirement aged people and seriously tell me the majority are not spoiled and demanding.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

You know who said that?

Socrates.

Around 400 B.C

Kids are kids. I think we tend to remember more of the good than the bad of our own childhoods and the current crop of kids seem "selfish" "spoiled" "disrespectful" etc. in contrast.

I think every generation ever has asked "what's wrong with the kids these days." The kids everyone is complaining around right now will be on-line in 20 years asking the same thing! :)

- Response by playhouse933, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

It's nothing new. Socrates complained about the exact same thing.