What is the best way for a non-christian to celebrate Easter?
Race, Religion & Politics / 9:01 PM - Saturday April 23, 2011

Update: April 23, 2011.
This is a hypothetical question. Someone asked me if I what I was doing for Easter, and I said I don't know. And it got me thinking. I know Xmas is celebrated by many, even those who aren't Xtian. I used to go to church on Easter (but a new age church). Its just an innocent question. Please don't answer if you don't have a suggestion, or if you're just throwing judgements my way.

Update: April 23, 2011.

- Asked by kizzy75, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Many non-Christians celebrate the fertility Goddess of spring for whom bunnies and eggs are sacred. Many Christians also celebrate with Her fertility bunnies and eggs.

Don't. Anyone who isn't religious but celebrates Easter or Christmas is an ass. I treat them as any other day.

- Response by A Creative, Female, 22-25

I'm a bit surprised by these answers I must say. OK, Easter may be significant to Christians, but it was also a pagan time of celebration, and Christian, pagan, or none of the above, you're entitled to celebrate the day however you damn well please!

I'm not religious myself, and to be honest, I think people here in the UK are far more secular than in the US, but most people still celebrate Easter somehow. Personally I choose to spend the time relaxing or having fun with family and friends, usually eating too much! Its lovely weather here now too so its nice to be able to spend some time outdoors appreciating nature.

- Response by loulou444, An Alternative Girl, Female, 36-45, Financial / Banking

Just treat it like a special weekend. If god wanted you to celebrate in a particular way then surely he has the power to force you to.

My girlfriend is Swedish and asks what meals we eat on Easter, Christmas etc, but as an Australian everyone I've ever known at home just cooks whatever everyone agrees is nice and has a family day. If a family get together isnt on the option list then just do whatever you feel like that justifies a holiday.

Australians aren't big on traditions other than the ones you make for yourself.

If someone says you can't celebrate without conforming to their beliefs then to be fair you should be able to order them around in the same way. Wear pink and dance like a moose or you're going to heck which is like hell but full of hecklers!

- Response by funkypants, A Creative, Male, 29-35, New South Wales

Well if you know, accept, and believe in Jesus you do celebrate his time on earth and his resurection. If you're atheist You don't. Just go about your day as you normally would.

You can eat candy and easter eggs and I don't know who invented the Easter Bunny?

Celebrate the birthday of a very nice man. D

Wait until Monday and buy lots of broken chocolate bunnies for next to nothing!

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

I'm not a NON christian so I couldn't tell you..

- Response by gregslove77, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Bar-B-Q!

- Response by stanorocks, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Denver, Therapist

Celebrate however you want to - the candy, eggs and bunny are not just for Christians. But since it is traditionally a Christian holiday, please don't disrespect the origins. :)

I'm not sure, seeing as I don't know why someone who isn't a Christian would want to celebrate Easter. I suppose they could make it all about the Easter Bunny and only celebrate the commercial part of the holiday.

- Response by sweetnsilly84, A Cool Mom, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

get together with family and friends ,have a good time ,eat like a pig, and for no reason at all except to just be with them.

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

I'm a Christian and for me, Easter is a very important holiday - in some ways more important than Christmas, because while we celebrate Christ's birth on Christmas, on EAster we celebrate his raison d'etre - his death and resurrection.

Obviously for me, this is a very meaningful holiday and I do appreciate it when those who do not share my beliefs are respectful of the fact that this is an important day for me.

However, that does not mean it SHOULD be an important day for you. Should you celebrate Easter?

Well, it's always nice to have a fun celebration... and Easter is as good an excuse as any other, I would think. However, since it is such a profoundly religious holiday, I am not sure what a non-Christian would do to celebrate it. It's sorta like Passover for Jews, vs. Hannukah. Passover is much more profoundly religious, I believe.

However, if you would like to celebrate it - you could celebrate, perhaps, that this is the season of green growing things. Maybe plant a flower or buy some lilies and enjoy the beauty and fragrance. go out for a special meal with your family or cook an Easter ham. Go to an Easter parade and dress up. Hide Easter eggs or color them.

I have friends who are agnostic or atheist who celebrate Easter by doing some of these things. It can be fun and there are no religious connotations.

Me, personally, if I were not a Christian - I would celebrate Easter by going to the botanical gardens on Easter and enjoying all that natural beauty, or going for a picnic with my husband in the mountains and celebrating the joy of being alive. :)

- Response by curvysmartgirl, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

I just wouldn't celebrate it at all..since it's dealing with Christ..and if the person is a Non-Christian..I don't see the point of celebrating it then...that is like celebrating your birthday..and it really isn't until 3 or 4 months yet your celebrating it because everyone else is celebrating theirs on that specific day..."If it don't apply...Let it Fly."

:)

As for me I will be celebrating Easter on Tomorrow..or today(it's morning here!):)

- Response by tiarasummer84, A Creative, Female, 22-25

Have sex, lol..

or stay in bed all day.

As for me.. I'm going food shopping like I do on every sun worship day Sun-day as I don't celebrate East-er, or Oester fertility goddess pagan holidays either. East-er.. as it the light that shines and rises in the east...that being of course the Sun.

This has nothing to do with real Christianity but with Pagan Christianity which is a real thing, even a book out with that title. So it's not a Christian or biblical holi-day in any way, shape or form, but pre-dates the birth of Christ by thousands of years.

I just do the Easter Bunny deal and eggs hunts. Then we'll have a nice dinner as a family.

By the way I love how the holier than thou Christians take all the credit for Easter when the truth is that it was originally a pagan holiday,not a Christian holiday. IJS.

WEll obviously Easter is a Christian Religious day to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ. If you are invited to feast on that day with fellow christians then do so and celebrate with them. This is a time when Christians feast after Lent season which is to eat fish on Fridays and they give up something they eat for 40 days and nights. Then the reward is on Easter when Christ is risen on the third day to the Heavens and people can celebrate that and themselves what they had given up to do during their own Penance in the Lent season.

- Response by womanv, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, New York, Self-Employed

plant a flower, enjoy the sunshine, eat some chocolate with family :)

- Response by js800, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Chicago, Student

Well, most of the actual traditions of Christmas and Easter are based in Pagan celebrations and rites - around the time of the 4th Century (I think) some higher-up guys in the church decided to take those traditions and Christianise them. The imagery of Christmas is trees with glitter - nothing intuitively bible-based there. The imagery of easter is chocolate eggs and bunnies - nothing intuitively bible-based there, either (hot crossed buns might have a case, but I THINK I read somewhere that they were originally from Celtic religions). So really, there's nothing especially Christian about celebrating Christmas and Easter in the first place, until you actually MAKE them about Christ.

- Response by ryanthegreatarj, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 22-25, Student

Become one

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative

WHY would you want to ????

- Response by nicolegillenwater, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

If you're not going to take a moment to respect where the holiday came from (like Christmas) you don't deserve to take part in it.

- Response by pinkskittles722, A Sportif, Female, 18-21, Fitness