Working interview protocol
Career / 4:23 PM - Monday April 18, 2011

Working interview protocol

A few weeks ago, I had an interview and was asked to come back and do a working interview. I was asked for a pay level and gave one I thought was reasonable. I worked for a half day and unfortunately was told two weeks later ( after 4 inquires) I didn't not get the job. I also did not get paid. Should I drop this matter or bring it to the attention of the person who interviewed me?
I've already mentioned it to her administrative assistant. I could really use the money and I feel my time is just as valuable to me as it is to them. Please help!

Update: April 18, 2011.
I should have added that this is the second time I've been interviewed at the same place, also the second working interview I did. I was paid for the first time.

- Asked by Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

I think you need to do your homework on how to interview and how to negotiate. When asked what your pay level is flip it and ask them what their range is and then just tell them that that range is within your pay expectations.

I have never been paid for interviews. In fact I declined to go forward with one company because they wanted me to put together a work product as part of the interview and I felt that they wanted me to work for free.

Do some google.com searches on interviewing.

go to the person who interviewed you, then work your way up the personnel scale until you get to the vice-president of the company.
you worked for free and they should pay you !

- Response by myming, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

ask in the personnel department.
tell them you've been paid once, now you need the second payment.

They do not owe you any money. They did not hire you. They are not required to pay you for a working interview.

Working interviews are just that, interviews. They do not owe you money unless there was an agreement beforehand. If they were asking for a pay level, I assume it was for the job, not the time you spent interviewing.

- Response by dogrn, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Call the H/R department.