My car broke down and I have no other means of transporation to work.
Career / 5:49 PM - Wednesday April 06, 2011

I live in a rural area and there is no public transporation. My vehicle will cost over 2500.00 to repair and I don't have the money to repair my vehicle. I work 32 miles from my job and work alone and have no coworkers to take me to work. When and if they fire me from my job will I qualify for unemployment.

Taxi? Rental car? Ask to make payments on the car repairs? Buy another cheap car? Buy a bike? Buy a scooter? Pay a friend or neighbor to take you?

Should I keep going?

unfortunately no u will not as if they do get rid of you it would be for not showing up to work so you need to find a way to get their

There used to be a lot of cheap reliable older cars around that someone could buy for $1,000 or often less. Most of them disappeared in Obama's "Cash for Clunkers" program. It helped those rich enough to buy new cars, but it made a lot of problems for many modest income Americans.

It sounds like you need to bite the debt bullet. Some service stations have an "in-house" credit lender, will set you up immediately, fix your car, and then, like any credit card you have to pay it off as you can. Grismer, for instance, offered 6 months no interest on the new card I HAD to get from them. I did my very best to pay it waaaaaaaay down by the time that 6 months date rolled around.

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

Pay a neighbor to take you to work? Find a way...as there will be no unemployment for someone who lost their job because they "failed to show". Sorry.

There is a way...It might not be fun...but if you want to keep money coming in...you will find a way to keep your job...

If this job isn't suitable for you...look for another, but find a way to continue this one until such a time.

WALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

- Response by amberslogic, An Alternative Girl, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

take out a loan and get your car fixed or buy a cheap clunker that runs

Unfortunately to collect unemployment you have to be willing and able to work. That includes getting there. Try to find something closer to home or an at home job. Good luck!!

Right now you can buy a car with nothing down..and notes low as 200 a month..if you want to keep your job...a judge will have to decide if you qualify for unemployment..if that be the case.

- Response by hwyrider, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired

Ok.