What's the difference between being quiet and shy? Is there a difference?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 11:01 PM - Tuesday April 05, 2011

Just curious.

quiet is remaining silent when most people are talking for many reasons...shy is not feeling comfortable talking because you don't feel confident speaking.

- Response by cracko14, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Quiet is keeping your mouth shut. Shy people already do too much of this.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Shyness will prohibit one from making a move or initiating a conversation. Quiet means one just doesn't have much to say. I used to be very shy but get me talkin?!!!! I'm not quiet at all! Very opinionated.

- Response by syncaset, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

quiet you dont speak very loud and shy you dont talk at all to strangers

- Response by motherof12006, A Cool Mom, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

quiet people don`t talk much....shy is avoiding strangers.

- Response by rantingmadman, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Transportation

Being quiet is not talking too much. You can still be sociable and not do that. That's how I try to be. Listening is priceless. Someone who's shy doesn't have to be quiet, but they have more of an reclusive personality when it comes to socializing.

- Response by daugenstine, A Creative, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Being quiet means you choose not to say much, you choose to sit back and watch more than you participate.

Being shy means you CANNOT say much. With shyness, it's not a choice to not talk - it's a strong fear of interacting with other people.

Shy means you have not learned to be social and you hold back, or that you feel you dont fit in. Quiet usually means you are listening. People can be both. But - in time, you can start coming out of your shell, and just be YOU.

I used to be "shy" because I moved around when I was young. I was always the "new" person. But as I matured, believe me, I am not shy now. And I really should listen more, and not tell the same stories twice! haha

Finding someone who is similar, usually breaks one out of their shell Be like an egg. BREAK OPEN yourself, and show the world who you are.

- Response by parent123, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Retired

Shy is feeling ackward around people and quiet is not quite the same. You could be a good listener and be quiet but not shy.

I can be a quiet person often ,
I am more of an observer by nature
But I will ramble on some times also.

I have been quite shy , I think shy is a feeling , cautious about speaking . Feeling uncomfortable about what you have to say. Like what you say might be stupid or judged harshly somehow. LIKE gun shy , you kind of stay clear of danger.