What's something that's happened to you that has changed the course of your life?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 9:53 AM - Tuesday March 29, 2011

- Asked by awsum1, A Life of the Party, Male, Who Cares?, Chicago

Geez, how much time do you have? LOL Let's just say being in an abusive marriage for 20 years while dealing with a life-threatening disease which is stress related(remember abuse for 20 years)has given me a new appreciation for life and how little time we really have. Live it to the fullest!! :)

- Response by rexy67, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Someone telling me how big my junk is.

My father's death completely changed me and my life. But more recently, I would say my accident (you must be annoyed that I keep bringing it up LOL). But it has had a tremendous impact on my life. Just three months ago, I was living one way of life and now it has been completely scrambled.

- Response by anonymouspersona, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Miami, Student

Fell in love for the first time. Got engaged. The relationship ended. I fell apart. And then, I had to learn what the hell was MY problem. The journey took me to a path leading all the way to my estranged biological father. By the time I accepted, forgave, and realized why I didn't love myself or feared not being loved. I realized why I was sabotaging my relationships. Instead of, believing it was the "other" person who had all of the issues. That was a major turning point in my life. It lead to my having to replan my whole life over. I left a job I hated.

Start traveling by bus and planes for the first time, alone at that. Getting a job I loved, and relocating to another city 100 times different than my humble home town. My love for myself, my strength as a woman, and my independence and taking responsibility for my own life and happiness, were all birthed from getting unresolved issues from my past understood, resolved, and forgiven. To think, this all came about from breakdown, anger, strong will, and a determination to fight from the grasp of an emotional death.

Simply from losing my relationship. I looked back upon what went on during that relationship and had a better understanding of why he reacted the way he did. It didn't obsolve him from all responsibility. But, it did give me an understanding of what I put him through and the pressure I unfairly had him trying to live up to. Because of my own neediness and dependency issues. BTW, that I didn't even consciously know I had until that break up.

It's a bittersweet memory. Because, by the time I truly start loving him in a healthy way, it was too late. I remember the pain. But, I also remember exactly what you've asked here. How because it happened, it allowed for the whole course of my life to change for the better. If that had not happened. I would have made a poor wife for him. Because, I wasn't truly ready to be the wife that he needed or wanted. I'm so much different and better for learning about myself and what I truly needed. Thanks for asking this question. I look back upon it with a certain level of gratitude. :-)

my divorce. ;))

- Response by imissit, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

My lotto numbers were wrong. I was supposed to be leading a lavish, carefree lifestyle on some beachfront property but now I cant.

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

I was BORN!

A terrible auto accident I was in. It made me rethink everything, and life was never the same after that.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?

I got pregnant at 20 and had the baby. She is a beautiful (stubborn) 10 year old now but not exactly the life I had previously envisaged :o)

- Response by cam80, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Other Profession

A mail carrier. Literally. ;-)

- Response by cutypy5840, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

My first wife getting killed in an auto accident, leaving me with two young daughters to raise. For a long time, I didn't think I was ever going to get over losing her and get on with my life and find new love.

- Response by lomizer, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

Some have been choices, some have been unintended consequences of choices, and some have just been unforeseen occurrences. Life is constantly evolving and frankly to give credence to one or two events would be an injustice to the reality that it is every small choice that has an impact on our future as we are constantly moving in some direction whether intended or not.

- Response by kalicalendar16, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35

In no particular order:

- discovering I enjoyed playing music.
- enlisting in the Navy.
- therapy/medication.
- marriage/kids.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Mine was self-inflicted. I had an unbelievably frank talk with myself years ago. It was brutal, but it was necessary. My life was never the same since that day, and it was all for the better.

- Response by A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Retail

I lost Jesus. Just coining a phrase to yank some chains. But, dumping the yoke of Catholicism was liberating.

Missing my ship when it came in, but I was told that I have another ship to come in, so I am still looking for it!

I discovered sex. Beofre that I was on track to be a nun.

- Response by ethelb50, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

Have spent too much time in a controlling relationship. Met a girl when I wasn't even looking for her and it's awesome.

- Response by mranderson2011, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, San Antonio, Who Cares?

Where can I buy on of those shirts ?

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Military service and ordination.

- Response by carnivaljoe, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 66 or older

I've had several events that have been transformative.

I got a type IV cancer 7 years ago. It totally transformed my life. As weird as it sounds, in a lot of ways the cancer was the best thing that happened to me - my husband and I totally changed our lives and our focus. Our marriage grew a LOT stronger. We were both working full time and focused more on money - after the cancer, he started consulting at home so he could care for me and I stopped working and then, when I started to get better, I changed to something I love vs. something that made more money. End result - we now make about 50% of what we used to BUT we are a LOT happier, more fulfilled and we have more time for family. We also eat better - almost all organic and home-made.

Other transformative events - when I accepted Christ, when I went away to college, got married, had a child, when my father died...

- Response by curvysmartgirl, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

marriage, children, divorce...repeat...

- Response by sherocks, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Internet / New Media

Divorcing my husband, finding myself and proving that I can, will and do take care of my children. He threatened that he would end up with the kids if I ever divorced him. That did NOT happen. We may have to do without a LOT of things but we are survivors and we are doing it (one day at a time). I've never once regretted my decision to leave his lying, sorry, unfaithful a**.

P.S. Thanks for asking. :)

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65

My Mother passing away 3 weeks ago.

- Response by roanna, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

I had my smart and beautiful daughter. :)

- Response by A Life of the Party, Female, Who Cares?

I read a book that made me realize that I wasn't a complete loser, getting out of a 27 year abusive marriage. I now realize I am somebody and everyone, including myself, was wrong about me.

- Response by electroman, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Seattle, Science / Engineering

Nothing.

I have been a "static Character" since junior high or earlier.
I dont change, everyone around me does.

My feelings got hurt when an ex boyfriend told me I'm a "static Character, like in a book,"

I dont change. not drastically. my wants and overall goals pretty much stay the same.

I'm predictable once you've known me a good 3 years.

- Response by discotrash, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Las Vegas, Other Profession

Gotta separate what "happened" to change my life and what I "decided" to do or not do that changed my life.
Happenings: Health problems in late my late 40s&50s (didn't expect that)
Decisions: To go to law school instead of pursuing acting. This changed everything cause I met my husband in law school and that determined where we lived and then we had 2 kids . . .

- Response by natasha1954, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Artist / Musician / Writer

Several things have happened but I think the most profound thing that happened was the death of my father. he was my hero and when he died it wasn't a shock,but it took a minute to process that he was no longer around.

Here's one for ya: I was framed for a crime I did not commit, abused by the campus police, and thrown out of college.

It wound up working out, though. I'm at a better school now, I'm on track to have a good career, and in the midst of all the craziness I met the man of my dreams.

Everything I've ever done has lead me to be exactly where I am. I like where I am, so I wouldn't change a thing. Not even the nasty parts of my history.

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

My husband died young and I was left with 6 kids, no job, no skills, very little insurance, and I had to start a new life. I had never dated anyone else EVER. He was my childhood sweetheart. I was very dependent, and had to move (couldn't afford my current home any longer) all by myself, buy a new house in a different city, buy a new car when I didn't even know how to put gas in the damn thing (he always did everything), and figure it all out. I had to try to navigate the big bad world of dating and was totally lost and unbelivably naive. Then I had to find my first job. Now I work for a singles group and help people start over with dating. It was definitely not the path I expected to take! But it's worked out over the years.

- Response by abitspoiled, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Falling in love with a man that supposedly loves me too but doesn't get it, accept it or respect it. Time will tell what he will do now.

- Response by debski, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Detroit, Science / Engineering

There have been several life changing events in my life. Some of them have been joyous while other painful. In the end though I have learned from all of them and just hoping that as I keep getting older there will be more joyous life changing events then painful ones.

1. my divorce
2. good and bad choices in life that i have made

Let my wife have sex with her ex-boyfriend.

- Response by A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

having an affair and confessing it to my husband...still together. He started to see me in a different light (for the better) :)

- Response by noemi1126, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Who Cares?

Getting a DUI.

Cabfare is less than lawyer money. And being in jail really sucks.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

When I was in a motorcycle accident.

I was the badass biker chick, all tatted up, drugged up and not scared of anything. Until I crashed at 67mph and survived. That changed my life. I sold my bike (what was left of it), bought a car, and started medical school. Now three years later i'm well on my way to a career doing what I love and getting paid damn good to do it. I thank God every day for that accident. Who know where I would have ended up without it.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, 22-25

I mArried beneath my mental level. D

Being emotionally abused for a year by a roommate.

I've not finished healing yet, but its already drastically changed who I am. Now I just need to figure out what to do for a career because he took away my plans.

- Response by atuin, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 22-25

I was in a near fatal car accident eight years ago, that left me with chronic daily pain.....

- Response by christinfusion22, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

I joined Answerology. I lost the love of my life because of it. hey, I'm not joking. but that's okay as I've since come to realize that any adult man who would dump someone as loving, loyal, and terrific as I am (and was to him) over a stupid website like this has got to have more than one screw loose. So, a/o saved my LIFE! hey, I'm not joking. or maybe I am, it's hard to tell sometimes. say, you don't garden by any chance do you?

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

Having children.
And my divorce. :/

- Response by stevieann, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

When I found out where babies REALLY come from, that change me forever...

- Response by kopfjaeger, A Career Man, Male, 46-55

having children changed my life

- Response by motherof12006, A Cool Mom, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

Avatar

Hubby's accident which led to his disability. Big change.