How do I remove cigarette smoke odor from fabric upholstered furniture?
House & Home / 1:10 PM - Sunday March 27, 2011

My parents had furniture in their home and they smoked for years. Now, I have the furniture in an apartment and really need to remove the smoky smell!

- Asked by beachnkat1, Female, 56-65

You could try Ozium or an enzyme from a car detail supply place for smoke.

But the best solution would be a can of gas and a match.

The best ways is to let it air out or steam-cleaning with a reputable company which guarantees that they can remove the aroma from the furniture.

- Response by syncaset, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Put it to air out on a deck in the sunshine for a few days. then go buy a new item that doesn't stink.

I think leaving it in a fresh open place for a couple of days...

- Response by sailormoon, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

you might want to call "After Disaster" or one of the services that go into a house after a fire and remove all the smoke odors.....they may be able to direct you to a product/proceedure that works....

- Response by mamu, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

You may have to get it reupholstered if they've been in there for that long. I'd give it away to Goodwill if the smell was that bad. There's no sense holding onto something with a foul odor when it would cost half as much to replace it as it does to fix it. That's your call. In the meantime, might I suggest you look into lots of air fresheners.

- Response by A Creative, Male, 29-35, Political / Government

I used some stuff called Awesome from the dollar store, and cleaned it then went back over it with vinegar water. I also took a couple of small jars of vinegar and sit around the under and back side for a while ... vinegar will take the smoke out...hope this was helpful... u can take awesome and spray it on the bottom of your white socks and no bleach and they come out so pretty and clean... but make sure to try the awesome on a spot first... I also used it on the upholstery of my car.... it is only three dollars for a gallon jug... good luck..

- Response by bakerlora, Female, 46-55

Steam clean with a detergent that is specific for that type of fabric. There are many types of fabric so you will need to call the furniture store you got it from or look in the users guide.

I've taken furniture outside for a hosebath in the driveway.

This time of year, it's problematic...

I would spray it with fabreeze every couple of hours.Or get it steamed cleaned.