What does it mean when a grown woman calls her lover-- "boyfriend"?
Dating / 12:09 AM - Wednesday March 23, 2011

Do we never "grow up" in some people's eyes?

My lady friend told me about one of her horseback outings, soon after we became involved.
One of the other ladies asked "How's the boy?" She replied "Oh, my horse is doing just fine!"
That wasn't who the other woman was asking about.

It really bugged me, it made me wonder just how these people view me; I was 55 at the time.

- Asked by chesterdad, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, San Francisco

It's always felt clumsy as to how to introduce one's lover. Significant other sounds so, oh i don't know...pompous, maybe. Lover gives too much information. Partner is cold and businesslike. Just thinking about it, maybe Private Partner would be nicer. How about"this is my friend, George" and then leave it to George to beat off all the other women's advances, trusting him in the private relationship. Oh, it was simply so much easier when what went on in the bedroom stayed in the bedroom. Or when people actually kept intimacy between husband and wife. But we evolve and need to create new "identities". I think the woman who asked the questin sounds snide and rude and probably jealous. On the other hand, we all know how you beloved men folks still call us girls lots of times, so what's with that, eh? Same same, maybe. Life is too short though, Chesterdad, to be worrying about this one!
Dear Awesome: when I got up to my newborn's crying was my pivotal moment. :) gh

- Response by plantpal, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

Yeah, it sounds pretty dumb when a grown person of EITHER gender calls their s/o boyfriend or girlfriend.

When you reach a certain age, you should introduce them as your husband or wife.

People who never marry seem drastically immature.

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

Never care what ignorant people say.It's not worth it.I think you are tops.