How do people afford to just pick up and move suddenly?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 9:25 AM - Monday March 21, 2011

I have heard of people with very little savings doing this....how do they afford a place to live, find a job and make it work???? It just seems impossible to me, but I'm kinda stuck in a comfort zone I guess..

- Asked by A Trendsetter, Female, 22-25, Financial / Banking

When you don't have many strings it is pretty easy to move. Many skills are easily transferable, and with most areas rent is about the same. I remember when I first came to the DC area, I had crash space on a friends couch ill I got settled, took 3 phone calls to find a place. I already had the job. This was back in the days before google and internet being minor source of info.

Usually someone else is paying their bills; Child support, alimony, Section-8 subsidized housing, SSI, disability, etc. And if they have overdue utilities (perhaps in collections) it's not uncommon for them to open new accounts in their children's names.

- Response by drunkmonk, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35

They are called couch jumpers. There is a website for it if you want to look it up.

I did this 9 years ago Cashed in $3,000 in change.

Cos I am awesome, hard working and have great references... I also happen to know people all around the country (Australia) which makes it easier. I intend to do it again in about 2 years time.

- Response by cam80, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35

If they were already paying rent somewhere else the housing part shouldn't be difficult. There are places where finding a job is easier than some places and the cost of living is lower. Nothing is impossible except sneezing and farting at the same time.

- Response by momof4, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

When people HAVE to do this, they just find a way. Many have no choice. And usually...there is nothing comfortable about it.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

You just do it. Start from scratch. Get rid of everything you can't fit into your car. Find someone you can rent a room from. Get rid of all expenses, including your cell phone. Once you have nothing to lose, you have everything to gain.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired