Cats as pets?? Easy to take care of?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 7:36 PM - Sunday March 20, 2011

Cats as pets?? Easy to take care of?

I have never owned a cat, but when I move out I would like to have a pet. Are cats easier to take care of compared to dogs? What's the best breed or kind? Anything special I should know about them?

yes- cats are easy to take care of.

They need their litter box cleaned out every day.
They need to be fed 2x per day and clean water every day.
They need to be played with and petted.
You should brush them and clip their nails as needed of indoor cats.
They do need to get their shots/rapies/neutered.
They do occasionally get sick and have to go to the vet.

I got 2 kittens from the humane society. They are very easy and keep me constantly entertained.

If possible het two so they have a friend when you aren't there.

- Response by meowmeowww, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

Cats are easier & cleaner. You'll need a litter box with really good kitty litter like Tidy Cat. They push it enough on commercials.

- Response by syncaset, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Cats carry cats scratch disease and a host of others on their claws. Make sure you dewclaw it and don't let it scratch you after it's been pawing in it's poop filled litter box.

A cat can usually be a fairly happy indoor pet. You have to keep their litter box clean, but you don't have to walk them outdoors each and every day of their lives so they can go to the toilet.

Go to an animal shelter to adopt a cat. They are vet checked before being put up for adoption, and they always have many kitties and kittens in desperate need of a home. I suggest a nice, no-nonsense American short hair cat. They have friendly dispositions and come in tons of colors or patterns, and their soft short coats don't require the kind of care a long-hair cat's sometimes does. Although medium-long coat cats ususally don't need a lot of fuss either.

If you get a kitten, realize it likes to PLAY. Often times at NIGHT, when you might want to be sleeping! Kittens are adorable, but they are babies remember. Oh, and male cats are usally WAY more low-key than females. There are thousands of books about pets, I suggest you take a look at one or two of them from your public library to learn more about care and feeding....they need to be neutered, get their shots, etc. too. There's no such thing as a "free" pet!

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

Cats are much easier to take care of than dogs. For one thing, you don't have to walk them every day or play fetch with them like you do dogs. They're easier to house train, and they require less attention. All you have do is scoop their litterbox unlike dogs with whom you have to use pooper scoopers. They don't bark loudly and wake you or the neighbors at night, either.

- Response by daugenstine, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Political / Government

Cats are so much easier than a dog. Just don't buy one. Save a life and rescue one from a shelter please. They kill over a million animals every year that could make a wonderful pet for someone. Both of my cats are rescues and they are awesome! I love them so much. I can go out of town for the weekend and leave them here which is a plus. You can't do that with a dog. I just put out extra food,water,and an extra litter box. The good thing about shelter cats vs. purebreds is they are usually heartier. Purebreds often have tendency for diseases or disorders etc. b/c of inbreeding and things of that nature. Cats with flat faces like persians often have sinus problems. It's not foolproof of course but your basic run of mill cat usually has less health problems. Out of every cat we've ever owned-all rescues,one was diabetic and the rest had/have no health issues.

Cats are more independent. You don't have to let them out so long as they have kitty litter and it is clean. Give them food and water every day and play with them if *they* are in the mood and they are happy. As for breeds, I have no idea. We have a barn cat and she is awesome.

Having a cat is one of the best things i've done in my life. She's been a real joy to look after and such a beautiful pet. No trouble at all. She was given to me by a friend who didn't want her, but I soon found her to be such a wonderful companion. Yes, they are a commitment, but a very easy one. They just need some dry biscuits, fresh water, fresh litter, cuddles, lots of pats and playing and fresh meat 1-2 per day. Immunizations once per year and try to keep them inside at night to avoid fights (and infections from cuts from other cats).

- Response by gogobbles, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Cats are easier.They don't need walks and if you go away for the day you can leave food and water.Please don't go for a breed.Save the cute one that is going to be put down in the shelter.They put down millions a year.It will know you saved it.