What to do if he won't say i love you?
Dating / 10:47 PM - Friday March 18, 2011

what to do if he won't say i love you?

i've been dating this guy for 2 and a half years. i told him i loved him within the first year. i didn't expect him to say it back then and he didn't and still hasn't. now that it's been 2.5 years i'm starting to wonder if he ever will love me. i don't think he does now if he hasn't said it to me but he's also a very emotionally closed off person so he's the only person who knows what he truly feels. he's given me cards with the word "love" in it but that doesn't count to me. should i talk about any of this with him? if so, what do i say about it? i'm not trying to make him love me or make him say it but maybe some guys take a hella long time to say or feel it? i know he wants to be with me because he tells me this but a girl would just like to hear "i love you" back one day. if it's never going to happen then that's just my destiny but i'd like to get married and have kids one day with someone who loves me and can say it. what to do? what to think?

Well if you've talked about being together, how come you've never talked about love yet? I'd ask him directly, especially if you're sure he likes you that way. Have you guys been intimate yet? is this a long distance relationship? is he single? why would't he express his feelings? especially at the prime time of your relationship? is he hiding something? my dad was a very emotionally closed man too but my mum said he used to say I love you when they were engaged....good luck, and I would be careful if he doesn't confess his love.

- Response by becomingjane, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

You can't be with someone for so long without loving the other person. It's true some guys just takes forever to decide but I think u have every right to discuss about it. You need to establish some common grounds in ur relationship. How to tell him? Just say it directly, wishes to know how does he sees the relationship cause he hasn't been expressing his feeling for u.

- Response by A Creative, Female, 29-35, Auckland

Three years is a lot of your life to invest in some one.Have a talk with him to see how he realy feels.Tell him what you want in life.If it is not what he wants then you have some decisions to make.

maybe he does but doesn't feel he needs to say it. Does give you flowers or chocolates. Remembers your birthday. Give you surprizes. I have been married for 25 years my husband very rarely says he loves me, but I know he does by the kind and generous things he does. He will bring me flowers take me out for a surprize meal. Always remembers our anniversity birthday etc. I think you know when you have found your right partner. We just seem to gel as he is by best friend will tell each other everything.
Do you still get butterflys when you have not seen him for a while. What are his parents like with each other may be they are not very loving towards each other so it is not comforable for him to say and show his emotions.

- Response by julie461, A Thinker, Female, 46-55