Is it possible to become allergic to something that you've never been allergic to before?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 2:01 PM - Tuesday March 15, 2011

The dog I have is hypoallergenic, so he doesn't shed. I spent the weekend at my friend's house, and she has five dogs that all shed a lot. I broke out pretty bad on my face, and I'm fine now that I'm home. I used to have a dog that shed, and I was just fine, I never had a problem with it. But is it possible to all of a sudden be allergic?

- Asked by proudmom88, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Atlanta

It's very possible.

Our bodies change all the time.
I had never had asthma in my entire life until I was sent to Spokane, WA.
Turns out, I had an allergy to some evergreen trees which brought-on asthma and running outdoors - the military kind of "encourages" - that, made it worse.

Also, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog.
Some are less hypoallergenic: Poodles, Bichons, Portuguese Water Dogs...but NONE are hypoallergenic.

My older daughter never had a problem with cats until we moved to New Mexico and those cats were indoor/outdoor cats.
It wasn't the cats; it was the stuff they were playing and rolling in when they were outside.

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

Yes, very possible and very common.

Out bodies have 4 immune systems. We often aren't allergic to something because one of these systems is telling the other 3 - "Chill out, don't worry, its nothing bad."

But we change when we get older. Either that one system starts losing steam and the others freak out, or one of the systems gets stronger and decides - "You know what? I've been listening to you for years and I dont buy it. I'm gonna start an allergic response."

There's different ways to treat these allergies too. If you're allergic to pollen (from inhalation), its possible to reduce the allergic reaction by introducing pollen into your body in a different way, such as by consumption.

- Response by inotnuts, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Newark, Retired

Yes, allergies can develop later in life for people who never had allergies before...

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

If the dogs that you petted had prowled around in the weeds, who knows what could have gotten on their fur, the your hands, and then your face. I doubt that you would have a skin rash from dog dander. Rather, dog dander would make you sneeze, and your eyes itch.

Yes, it is. Allergies can pop up out of the blue from something you've been fine with for your whole life. All of a sudden, your immune system screams "**ENOUGH**!!" and starts reacting badly.

It's happened to me - I never had hay fever until a few years ago. Now the orange blossoms in spring make me sneeze & sneeze & sneeze....

I was told by my family's ENT, the chemical makeup of your body shifts over the course of seven years so you can develop an allergy or an allergy can be reduced.
BTW five shedding dogs can bother anyone, even people without allergies

- Response by youngfuddyduddy, A Married Girl, Female, 36-45, New York, Who Cares?

If you have a bad allerigic reaction to something, it doesn't matter what, then you can be come hyper sensitive to everything. I have a friend who started a new job that involved working with some chemicals and she had to stop because she had a bad allergic reaction and now if she comes out in a rash if she comes in contact with a dog. she grew up with dogs and never had this problem before.

- Response by psychoticbabe1, A Thinker, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

Its probably just the amount of pet dander that set you off but to answer your question; yes you can devolop alergies later in life.

perhaps it's the amount of dogs. Five dogs that's a lot of fur and dander, maybe you can't handle that much.

Yes. I lived with a woman who had 2 cats for almost 5 years with no problem. Now?

I can't be around a cat for longer than 20 minutes without my chest filling with fluid and my eyes swelling shut.

Go figure.

Yes, absolutely! After I had my daughter, I felt weird after I would take a shower. I finally discovered some type of neuralogical allergy to something that is in shampoo! I'm not sure what ingerdient it is, but it affects my sense of taste, and I can't think clearly, I think it has to do with the perfume. I now can only use baby shampoo as soap in the shower. Long story short...yes you can become allergic to something you haven't been before!

- Response by piggywiggy, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Yes you can. As you age your body can lose it's ability to defend against certain forms of dander and other allergens. I had an uncle that got a bad case of Rosy cheek at about 50 yrs old. He was never allergic before but after tests were done they determined him to be allergic to about 250 things. Ageing sucks.