How hard is it to get an apartment if you've filed bankruptcy?
House & Home / 2:31 PM - Sunday March 13, 2011

Pretty cut and dry. I had to file chapter 7 bankruptcy after losing my job at the beginning of the recession. I am not discharged yet. I may be getting a good job soon & am starting to look around at apartments. Once my bk is discharged, I want to move back into my own apartment. How hard is it? Has anyone been through this before?

how has your life been since the bankruptcy? have you seen your credit get better or had trouble getting new credit?

I'd like to thank everyone for responding. I've read the application for the place I want backwards & forwards. There is a guarantor section, mostly because it is a college town. I am not in college & this place is a single story complex of 1 bedroom units. Their occupancy rules are 1 person per 1 bedroom, no exceptions. I think the best thing for me to do is be completely upfront, bring good documentation of my salaried income, a letter from my attorney showing the filing of my bankruptcy and a character witness along that's knows what I've been through (...my mom). Also, showing up with first, last and a deposit probably wouldn't hurt.

- Asked by A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35, Artist / Musician / Writer

id be at the new job 6 mths before trying to get an apt. and have enough money in the bank to pay first last seurity and 2 extra months rent up front , to ease the new land lords worries.

- Response by galdeen, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Administrative

It's usually more difficult to rent if you filed bankruptcy in the past. However, alot depends on the landlord (some are more lenient than others), where you hope to live, and if you have good references from past landlords.
Btw, I have never filed for bankruptcy, but I do rent out a small house that was bequeathed to me. Thus, I have "landlord status". I tend to be quite lenient if the applicant seemed like an "upstanding" type person w/ self confidence & had at least one good reference from a past landlord. Of the 12 different tenants I've had, only one turned out to be a 100% phony whom I eventually evicted. One *trick* you can try is: whomever you are currently living with - parents? friends? S.O.? can write a letter of recommendation for you w/o mentioning $$$. You'll need to explain to potential landlords "why" you are want to leave the place you are living now. (E.g; Inconvenient for public transportation or lease is due to expire, and so forth).

If you'd like, let me know if you'd like to see what a letter of commedation (from your present "landlord") should look like.
Best of luck to you :)
=

- Response by familygal, A Thinker, Female, Who Cares?, Artist / Musician / Writer

Very - you pretty much have to have a co-signer or pay for the year in full at the beginning.

- Response by lomizer, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope it works out for you.

It is not hard but if they run credit reports..you will have to have a larger deposit most likely..i have great renters..good jobs and bad credit..they are stuck with me..but i did lower the rent for them to help them the last few months...its all i can do..

- Response by hwyrider, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired