What is Agoraphobia? Is it where a person is afraid to leave his/her house?
Diet & Health / 9:10 PM - Thursday March 10, 2011

What causes the malady? Is it curable with therapy?

- Asked by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder which causes the excessive, abnormal fear of wide open spaces and being in public - pretty much, the opposite of claustrophobia.

A big part of it is the fear of being unable to escape the situation, which is what causes people who suffer from this disorder to keep themselves increasingly isolated in their own homes; very often the only place where they feel truly safe. Some people can still lead functional lives with agoraphobia, by simply limiting their social activities and staying home aside from going to work or other necessary activities. Others become completely isolated and home-bound; never leaving their homes at all, having anything they might need delivered to them and either living on disability or working from home.

I don't know if anyone has determined what actually causes this, or any other anxiety disorder. But as far as I know, there has been some success with cognitive therapy and/or medication, at least for some people.

i suffer from agoraphobia and i call myself a funcational one. i've pretty much just stayed within my city limits in the past year or so. it SUCKS!!! i feel like no ones going to love me or i can't have kids due to my fears. the fears are stupid and irrational. i can panic in the snow, going somewhere new, or just having too much caffeine in me that day. i purposely bought my new house within a mile from work just so i don't have to worry about a possible bad weather day and having to drive in it. the summer heat causes me anxiety too cause it feels so stifling and i need a/c. my house is def my safe place but i do hang with friends and do things, i just limit myself on where i go. ive gone to counseling and know how to help the attacks when they happen, but i've gotten so much better only to get worse again so ive pretty much given up. im not a depressed person per se, i've just accepted how my life is going to be is all.

- Response by nicky711, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

It's fear of being in crowds, it's curable.

- Response by pinkskittles722, A Sportif, Female, 18-21, Fitness

I know some people like that.Some are autistic.Some have social anxity.Some can be helped with therapy.

Just search engine "Agoraphobia definition"