FootFall Noise is driving me crazy. I moved I moved across the coast into a new state and my very
House & Home / 7:02 AM - Friday March 04, 2011

first apartment (i've always renting homes) and the person above me sounds like Godzilla. I really thought my neighbors were a group of a guys, a kid and a dog because that's what the noise sounds like but instead its just one short woman, what the hell, I'm one short woman too and I don't think I make thatkind of noise. I tried talking to her, management and the police got involved and it got quiet, then another cop came out after everything was cool. The cop got the call late and I didn't want her to think i was calling the cops just for the heck of it especially since she was finally quiet. I thanked her for keeping the noise down and told her for the past hour I heard nothing at all and I was happy. Then 2O Minutes later there goes the loud damn noise again.. WTF? If I go up there again someone is going to need an ambulance. What do I do? I never want to tell someone how to walk in there own home. I thought I had a top floor (long story) apartment but I didn't. I don't know if I'm just too noise sensitive or if she is doing this on purpose or if it's the building. I feel like ultimately it's my fault for not getting a top floor like I thought I had. Should have double checked. I'm new here, been here almost two weeks and dealing with this already. Beautiful apartment, beautiful neighbor hood, excellent price.. why do I have to deal with this silly footfall bs. It's stuff like this that makes me want to roll off a cliff. I'm tired!

I can tell you from experience that there is noise being channeled up to her apartment from your apartment as well. Unfortunately, noise is just one of the drawbacks of apartment living. i suggest you get used to it if you plan to continue living there.

- Response by bookman, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Seattle, Hospitality

if moving into an anapartment is not an opt. for yo umy dear can you move into a house where you dont have to hear this? cuse to me this would be the ideal thing for you but when you live in an apartment this is what you hve to listen to cauase really in all fairness an apartment is an apartment and people who like above you do make noise but i would think of a house rather then an apartment, if this is not n opt. for you t this time try talking to your landlord about her. gl

- Response by twoshort2000, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Retired

Lots of us have made the mistake of renting or buying a condo that is not top floor. You live you learn. You pay your dues, you move up, lol. In the meantime I recommend Silencio earplugs. It's a pain in the ass to have to silence the world to get rid of the noise of the elephant herd upstairs, but it beats being pissed at them all the time.

Desperate in hell! looks like you're stuck. I would check with management to see if you can move to the apt you thought you was going to get, or let them know the noise is causing some serious issue for you, you've done all you can to tolerate it, to stop the noise, it's unbearable and tenant above you is unco-operative, you'll have no choice but to move. If they can't release you from the lease then something needs to be done or you'll be speaking to a lawyer.

- Response by 2jacksam, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Denver, Self-Employed

Your gripe is with your landlord. It is their responsibility to provide reasonable peace and quiet. Perhaps they would be willing to carpet her apartment for her, which is really what any apartment dweller needs to do if they live above another tenant. Now it sounds like you've just pissed her off.

- Response by maryea, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, New York, Retired

Some people never learn how to walk quietly. I dated a petite woman who had been a longtime dance student, and she couldn't walk quietly.
The trick is to land flat or on your toes. Usually people land on their heels; it's why joggers wreck their feet and legs. Landing heel first sounds like you're beating the floor with a hammer.

I had a downstairs apartment where the man upstairs let his little girls rampage back and forth. I moved out.

BTW-- Being the upstairs neighbor is no guarantee of quiet, either. I once had a downstairs neighbor who slammed her closet doors relentlessly. Late-night TV downstairs can sound like it's right next to you.

Wow. Imagine how your neighbour feels. Living in her wonderful apartment, and then you move in.

Lighten up. Buy earplugs. ETC.

you really started all that and you have only been there two weeks??? WOW!!!