Is this normal during a massage?
Sex & Intimacy / 10:30 AM - Saturday February 19, 2011

Is this normal during a massage?

For those of you have had massages at a "reputable" facility.....

Do the massages you receive involve any "questionable" body parts? I've had three massages at three different places (Massage Envy, Body Logic, The Massage Institute), by three different women. In every case, the woman has asked or tried to massage my butt.

I don't get massages often -- there was probably a 6-8 month break between these three, so I don't remember to warn them not to touch my butt. But is this normal? Do massage therapists normally work on your butt along with everything else? Or, is this something women do with men and not vice versa?

- Asked by wudaddy, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 29-35, Dallas, Law Enforcement

I am a reputable massage therapist, and yes we often massage your gluts. Many people hold their tension there (it is a very large muscle if you hadn't noticed) and can become very tight. Any professional therapist will ask to make sure you are comfortable with this, and if you are not, feel free to refuse.

Most frequently, the clients I spend particular time massaging their buttocks are athletes/runners, but I love to have mine addressed when I receive a massage as well. It is completely normal, but like I said if you don't like it and forget to tell him/her ahead of time feel free to tell that person to stop when he/she begins to address the area. It's fine. We like feedback.

- Response by pudgeybunny, A Hippie Chick, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

Yes, some of them do massage your butt. There is nothing sexual about it.

I wouldn't take that as innapropriate. Ive had them just do it... And not ask.

- Response by audbal82, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35, Tampa, Science / Engineering

I did a course on massage. If you are having a "full body massage" it includes massaging the buttocks. If you are uncomfortable with that, say so before the massage begins.

- Response by cam80, A Career Woman, Female, 29-35

I have never had a professional massage but it stands to reason that alot of tension would flow from the lower back to the gluteal muscles... I don't think of that a sexual..but if you are antsy just calahead and have them place a note on your profile or card...

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

Your butt has lots of muscles going thru it.It helps to massage it.

Yup, butt is a respectable place to have worked. I've had lots of legit massage and it's past of the deal.

I've had a massage and thats where your gluts and you get alot of stress and tension there. So that muscle needs to be worked out also. But if you are incomfortable with someone touching your butt just tell them before hand. I'm sure they will respect your wish.

Theres are lots of muscles in the butt and they tense up too and can cause hip and low back problems so I think that the massagers should ask cuz that is a personal area

- Response by daffodils2008, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

Yes, at reputable facilities they will massage your butt. They'll even massage a womans breasts. They will not touch the crotch area on man or woman... unless they are not as reputable as you thought.

- Response by A Creative, Male, 29-35

I've only had 1 "professional" massage, and the masseuse was a female. Before beginning the massage, she told me I could either leave just my undershorts on, or to be totally naked, and then cover up with the sheets. She left the room for me to undress and get covered up. I elected to keep my shorts on. I could not help noticing her glancing towards my crotch, and on several occasions she got VERY close to my ass and balls. She never tried to touch my private parts or my butt. But what I did not understand was why I should be naked? I mean, if she is not going to touch me down there, what is the purpose of being totally naked? I wonder if she expected me to ask for something "extra"?

Massaging the gluts is normal. It's a very large muscle mass and it's tension can spread to the upper thighs and lower back so they massage that. I've always had my butt massaged. LMAO That sounds funny in print.

- Response by joybird, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

The butt is a muscle that should be massaged as well so there is nothing wrong about it. I had a male massage therapists who massaged my small little butt without asking for my permission and I was totally fine with it because it's completely normal and standard procedure.

- Response by troublemaker, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 29-35, Managerial

Any massage therapist worth a visit does glutes, but (sorry, no pun intended) they SHOULD ask you before they start if there are areas you want to focus on or avoid. I ALWAYS want that massaged but don't ask for it. If you say low back, they will do the glutes because those affect that area. I always mention my feet because many will leave that off in order to spend more time on the back.

Good luck wd!

- Response by kanaka, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Dallas, Executive