How long did you look for a house before buying one?
House & Home / 5:38 AM - Friday February 18, 2011

I'm looking for about 5 months. My friends say that I am too picky. One house had one huge bedroom and one really small one. I didn't like that.

Another that I saw a house that was up the block from a pool hall. The house was nice the price was right but the fact that guys hang out on the sidewalk there drinking beers bothered me. My friends say I am tooooooo picky and taking too long? 5 months is too long? I have seen about 6 houses in that time that fit my budget.

This is my first house - I was a single mom and so could not afford til now so I want to make sure I really get what I want. Am I being too picky?

Naw you've only seen 6 houses.... When I Bought my first house it was the First house i looked at...... When I bought the second I had seen about 5 or 6 houses..... Hey , your paying the Realtor...tell him/her what you want and let them narrow down your list.... Then you check them out. It may take 20 houses ...But thats what you pay them for

NO, you are not being too picky.
A house is a HUGE investment, not something to be taken lightly, especially since you will be living every day of your life in that neighborhood.
You are doing the right thing.
Your friends however, I would be concerned about their 'decision-making' abilities.

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

Nope, not a chance! You have to find a house that fits you and your life or it will never become your home. Personally I looked for 11 months and physically saw more than 175 houses, put offers on 3 different houses throughout that time frame the last of which was accepted. I was told that not only was I too picky but that I took all the fun out of looking for a house. When I asked how the answer I was given was that whenever we would walk through a house I would start to take note of all the current as well as possible future issues the house had. I mean isn't that what your supposed to do when you look at a house? Well not according to my wife who found and bought our house while I was working out of town. It's not a bad house but all the things that I knew would go wrong have so like any other house it will always remain a work in progress.

- Response by A Rebel, Male, 36-45, St.Louis

You will know when you find the right home.It will feel like home from the begining.Take your time.

...heck no!

a house is a very important investment, take all the time you need.

....tell your friend to put a plug in it.

- Response by nameacarl, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Oostende, Self-Employed

Not at all!!!

You have to live there - not anyone who says you're picky!!!

I'm looking to buy in June, and am far from choosing the right place, or home!!!

I got advice that helps me!!! You'll know when you find it!!!

Trust your instincts!!! Maybe the cosmos is holding the perfect place just up around the bend!!!

Good luck Chick!!!

- Response by coolstud, A Life of the Party, Male, Who Cares?, Portland, Self-Employed

No, you are absolutely not being too picky. You have cited important factors. If you have the time, take as much of it as you need to make this huge decision.

- Response by maryea, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, New York, Retired

My last house I purchased (the one I am in presently) was two visits and was negotiated and purchased (in CASH - so they knew I meant business and also negotiate a better price) in one day (Saturday).

The house I purchased before that - I spent four months looking - mainly because my Realtor didn't seem to get what I was looking for - and kept showing me places that didn't meet my few but critical items I needed. I ended up going to a different Realtor, which made a world of difference.

No house will ever be perfect - get the most critical items as priority - then change over time the little things to make it better for your needs.

- Response by lomizer, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Halifax, Science / Engineering

def take ur time. this is a lifelong purchase that u HAVE to love! but don't look at the aestetics, that can change, look at the layout and size of rooms and the important roof, plumbing, furnace and electrical to be all updated. the decorating can all be done later. but my first house i looked for a few mos and got so frustrated and just put a bid on a house i could afford, ended up being perfect me. but then on my next purchase we looked for a few weeks, the area i was looking at was going fast on sales. put in a bid on one we could afford, they denied it. thank God tho, cause the next house was the THE ONE and bought it. i love my house, nothing to be done to the house except to move it! when u find the right one, u'll know. don't worry how long its taking u. it does get frustrating at times. hang in there.

- Response by nicky711, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

Taking 5 months to find a home sounds like you have the wrong sales person. A sales person doesn't make any money until you buy the right home at your preferred price. A sales person should be able to show you homes that meet your needs and areas that you would like to live in. Compromise sometimes happens when your budget won't match your idea of a home but a good salesperson should be able to get close to your dream home. Rosey

Way, way too picky, for the housing market the way it is today! I think it should take someone, on the average, about 2-3 months to find a house that they like and would and could live in it... I wish you luck..

- Response by suzyscorp, A Trendsetter, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

You should take your time.
You don't want to live by a Pool Hall.
Remember Location matters and it is your house.

- Response by philosopher1, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55

Many people look at a dozen houses or more before picking one.

- Response by richelesro, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Los Angeles, Consulting

When buying a home, the biggest investment of your life, you can't afford to not be picky! Take your time and don't just settle for something just because people are making comments. You are the one who is going to have to live in that house, and if you're not happy with it, it's going to cost you thousands to renovate it to your liking, or end up moving elsewhere. It is very important to take the neighborhood into consideration as well as the condition of the house. By all means, take your time. It took me a couple of years to find the house I wanted, and I don't regret the wait!