Rejected because he says I am too good for him...???
Dating / 4:22 PM - Tuesday February 15, 2011

My boyfriend rejects me because I am "too good for him" or I am out of his league. Really? From the beginning he would contact me but wouldn't ask me out. Then he's gotten jealous that, when we weren't even exclusive, I went out one night and this guy bought me a drink. Well, I told him because it seemed like he was flirting with somebody else; he reacted and yelled and talked down to me like I am stupid. I had a conversation with him yesterday and he sounded much more rational. He said that he should have thought about it before reacting like that. He didn't really apologize but I guess this was his way of apologizing to me (I am not too satisfied about that). Still, I can't get over that he did that to me.
On top of that, he has been away for a while, traveling. I know he doesn't have access to the phone all the time, but, ten days will go by and I didn't hear from him. When he wrote me, he would write these one sentence emails. I do not think he didn't always have access to the phone, more like he didn't make the time to contact me or contacted me whenever he felt like it. That was quite an insult to me.
I talked with him about this and told him how hurtful some of the things that he's done and said have been to me, because I didn't ever tell him before, even though he knew this.
He told me I was right about everything and on top of everything else, he told me I am right. He knows that other guys are asking me out, to which he responded that I can go out with other guys.
How can someone who claims to love, and then even mention marriage say something like that? I understand he is from a different culture and religion, but what does that have anything to do with it really?
I am just scared that this guy hasn't grown up yet and doesn't even know what he wants.
In the meantime he's talked to me about marriage. What am I supposed to do?
I have developed feelings for him and care about him. I've invested in the relationship. I don't think he even knows what it means to be in a relationship.
The moment I think about going out with someone else, he comes right back into the picture, checking in with me, as if to make sure I'm not really seeing anyone else.

Update: February 15, 2011.
Thanks. But why do guys say stuff like that? Does he really mean it, or is it just a cop out? Would it be ridiculous for me to actually believe him? Even if it is true, he leaves me with nothing. I don't want to break up with him, but after saying something like that he gives me no choice. It almost sounds like I am NOT good enough for him, according to what he wants anyway. What do you guys think?

Psssh!

I meant....Anytime he says YOU ARE TOO GOOD FOR HIM.

I screwed that!

- Response by jenny12, A Career Woman, Female, 46-55, Other Profession

I'm going to answer this in a fashion not often demonstrated by me.

Dude, fvck it. He's not treating you like you deserve at all... Just find another guy that treats you right. There's plenty of us out there. He shouldn't yell at you, or act like you're stupid. He shouldn't be jealous, he should feel secure. He needs to show respect. These aren't things you can learn after a certain point. Just move on.

/--Jade Havok

- Response by jadehavok, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 26-28, Salt Lake City, Artist / Musician / Writer

So you were still in the non-exclusive stage when you were talking about marriage and broke up? The guy travels a lot and doesn't have a cell phone? In one breath you seem to imply a relationship has been going on for perhaps a year or more and in another breath imply it has been a few weeks. Non of the details here are falling into a consistent coherent story.

Let me bottom-line this:

Anytime a man says he is too good for you, believe him and run in the opposite direction.