My son sh*ts his pants
Family & Parenting / 12:49 PM - Monday February 14, 2011

My son sh*ts his pants

He is 10 and will still shit his pants. Not just a skid mark but actual poo. I make him clean the pants himself, then the toilet and his hands after. He will do it while sitting in his room playing and not go across the hall to his bathroom. I've been unpleasant, I've been calm and concerned Ive been patient. I am just disgusted and it is hard and stressful. Does he need professionaL HELP? I mean WTF? Who wants to sit in shit?

I'm 40 and shit my pants all the time. It's fun. Don't hate.

- Response by sirpsychosexy13, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Atlanta, Who Cares?

You need to talk to a doctor my little btother had the same problem becouse he had a problem with his colon. Some meds corrected the problem.

I would seriously have him looked at by a doctor and all of you sit down and talk about it. There has to be a reason and I'm sure it's something that can easily be fixed, just need to find the cause. Maybe he needs attention? Maybe he has some kind of medical issue? Not sure. Good luck!

- Response by rexy67, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

...yes, get the kid some professional help.

- Response by nameacarl, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Oostende, Self-Employed

why haven't you taken him to his pediatrician? that would be the 1st i'd do. i know of other kids that have issues like that. they turned out great. maybe an appointment with his doctor. good luck!

- Response by imissit, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

I think he needs professional health. This is far from normal for a 10 year old. Does it happen outside the house too?

- Response by mld1221, A Career Man, Male, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Managerial

YES He need professional help. Something is very wrong when a 10 year old child purposely (and repeatedly) goes to the bathroom in his pants.

There is nothing else to say... talk to his physician first and go from there.

I think it is time for some punishment. You say he is doing it in his room. Tell him he is not allowed to play in his room, if he does that. You will make him sit at the kitchen table for l0 minutes, each and every time. And put a timer on the table. He is just being lazy, or gets too absorbed in play. Take his favorite toy away. Anything to make him stop that immediately. They say that self control starts when they learn delayed gratification. He must learn he can't get away with that behavior until he learns self control.

- Response by parent123, A Thinker, Female, 66 or older, Retired

A few years ago in a part of Africa young bull elephants were being overly aggressive with humans and other creatures. They caused a lot of trouble. Biologists imported half a dozen mature bulls from another area, and the old bull elephants soon taught the young bulls how to act. Problem solved.

My first guess is that he has no father in his home. If that
is true, send him to live with his father.

Id get him evaulated by a professional. This could be a sign of some other issues that you have no clue about.

No, this is not normal and yes I think you should talk to someone about this.

My nephew has major GI issues and toilet anxiety due to a spectrum disorder. It took A LOT of coaxing to get him to use the toilet. He still has accidents on occassion and this is usually do to how much it hurts for him to use the bathroom.

Try to be patient with him and talk to a doctor/counselor about this. There could be a number of things going wrong here. Best of luck to you.

- Response by dogrn, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I agree with MOST everyone's suggestion.
Take him to the doctor, the medical and/or mental kind.

I hope it has nothing to do with the worst-case-scenario.

- Response by andrewj5267, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Miami, Teaching

If he is passing liquid stool, it may be that he has toilet anxiety and is so constipated that this happens beyond his control. You need to first see his pediatrician to discuss the problem. I'm sure they will want to know how much time he spends in his room and if he has had a chance to be calm and relaxed and encouraged to use the bathroom before he goes in there. He must be so ashamed that he can't tell you why it is happening and punishing him will only make matters worse. Give your child the benefit of the doubt, this is a serious problem, not something he wants to do.

Yes... it sounds liek you both could use some professional input into this issue.

Is this a new behavior? Has he experienced a traumatic event? Is he mentally challenged? Too little information here. I would think if this has been going on for the past 10 yrs you would have already taken him to the doctor (or any sane parent would have) so I'm assuming this is something new. In either case your son needs to see his pediatrician regarding this issue and if it is not caused by a medical condition then more then likely they will refer him to a psychologist to get to the reasoning for this behavior. In any case your son needs help!

"Encopresis" - google it - take the paper with you to the doctor- if it isn't a physical problem it may be a sign of ADHD

- Response by sweetshyfree1, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Other Profession

As some wrote you, your son needs professional help. Start with a phone call to his pediatrician, who may steer you both to a child psychiatrist.

Encopresis can have a number of causes. We could be talking about a disease of the colon or lower bowel. We could be talking about several bowel disorders. Chronic constipation and behaviors that result in it could result in fecal incontinence. We could be talking about a developmental issue or a psychological one.
At any rate this should have been addressed with professionals long before now. Being angry...making him clean his pants and the bathroom as a result of what could very well be a medical problem is cruel. Think of what life is like for incontinent adults? No one would dream of making them feel guilty about what is a very real medical issue.
You needed to get professional assistance with this a long time ago. Don't delay now. Call your Pediatrician and state that you are having or have had a difficulty with Encopresis with your son of 10. Tell the receptionist how long this has been occuring and that you would like an appointment as soon as possible as well as a companion referral for a mental health practioner. Both should screen your son.

- Response by joybird, A Career Woman, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

He might be on the autism spectrum. You never know. I'd get him checked out if I were you.

- Response by daugenstine, A Creative, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

LOL at the person who said to rub his nose in it

I think it's time to start potty training...

- Response by proudmom88, An Alternative Girl, Female, 26-28, Atlanta

Yes,he needs professionaL HELP. and the sooner the better.

- Response by dambreaker, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Retired

He must have Autism.

- Response by drunkmonk, A Couch Potato, Male, 29-35

You ever try Potty training or was he supposed to Learn on his own??

Rub his nose in it a few times, he'll quit.

- Response by pustic, A Player, Male, 56-65, Tampa, Retired