7 years age difference?
Dating / 8:48 AM - Monday February 07, 2011

7 years age difference?

I've started going on dates with a guy who is turning 29 this year and I'm turning 22 this year. We aren't "dating" or seeing each other, just sussing each other out I think.

I get along with him really well, we have so much in common and he ticks the majority of the boxes on boyfriend material list haha! I don't know if it will or won't go anywhere yet, too early to tell.

My question is, do you think it's too much of an age gap? Anyone had bad or good (real long term) experiences with this type of age gap?

And yes, I know this is something I should chat with him about but I'm interested to know what experiences people have had

Update: February 08, 2011.
Thanks everyone! very interesting responses :)

- Asked by springamor, A Creative, Female, 22-25, Melbourne

Age is just a number...my hubby was 10 years older than me and we had more fun than anyone I dated around my age! Just go with it...you are enjoying the time you are spending with him! Age is just a number and it's more important to be happy than worry about an age-gap.

Just my 2 cents :)

- Response by A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Internet / New Media

I think it all depends on the couple. 7 years isn't necessarily a huge age difference at your stages in life .. my parents were 8 years apart and it worked fine for them. I think it just depends on each person's maturity levels and life's goals, etc.

Best idea is to just take it slowly and really get to know each other to see for yourself.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

No reason why a 7 year age difference should stand in the way of a serious relationship. Many people have been together with a lot more age difference than that. The good news is that having that much difference in your age hopefully means he is mature which is a definite plus. My cousin married a woman with a 7 year age difference and here we are 8 years later and they are still happily married. So, take it slow and make sure you like the "real" him without rushing into anything. Good luck. :)

- Response by lilkat316, A Cool Mom, Female, 56-65

My parents are 7 years a part, my husband and I are 7 years a part, my sister is 7 years a part from her husband. Frankly I don't see it as a big deal at all. Neither my sister nor I had anything wrong with guys our own age and usually dated men at most a year or two older. But for some reason the "one" relationship we had with guys 7 years our senior lasted the longest.

- Response by kalicalendar16, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35

Sometimes older men like to treat younger women like children and it turns into a father/daughter type relationship instead of a partnership. I worry that some older men might talk down to you or try to control you becuase they think you're young and they feel you don't know anything. other than that, the age difference is fine.

It makes more difference where you're both at in live than the number of years you've been around in it. When he was 20 you were 11. I doubt he'd have been interested in playing Barbies for very long and would have gone to jail for playing doctor. When he was 25 and you 16, a drivers license toped your list of achivements while he's likley married with his first child.

If at 29 your both never married, in school, and starting life together you'll likely have all the same expectations, 9yrs isn't much. If at 23 you're graduating college, about to start your future, while looking forward to creating life with the prefect partner??? He's now 30, divorced once or twice, has troubles with kids, and an "ex" who will be part of his life the next 18yrs fighting over kids??? Then I'd say those 9yrs difference will be a mountain to climb.

The problem with relationshipe with large age gaps is few couples are ever in the same place at the same time. Even if they are today they weren't in the past and wont be in the future. It forces the young partner to get old fast trying to catch up or the old one to look the fools playing like they're less mature. 9yrs isn't a BIG number If you're both at the same place in life.

- Response by fluff47, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Self-Employed

In traditional societies women generally marry older men. When I was young, that was also the standard in the US. My father was 12 years older than my mother.

Somehow the anti-family, anti-marriage people have spread nonsense that women should only marry men the same age. It is part of a campaign to stop good marriages and families.

Its not too much age gap at all, in fact its better than the same age.

7 years isn't much. It will probably insure you guys are at the same maturity level.

- Response by txfox76, A Creative, Female, 36-45, Houston, Teaching