Taken advantage of and disrespected once again - why do I even bother?
Friendship / 10:13 PM - Friday January 28, 2011

I always get taken advantage of but continue to be a nice and giving person. I'm beginning to wonder why. The latest incident is me helping my friend's sister (she's 45) out by letting her stay at my place for a week. I've met the sister and know her problems and told my friend straight up that I wouldn't put up with anything. On her 2nd night there, she was acting weird, asking me when I was going to bed, what street I lived off and when I started to work on my computer, she insisted that I relax and go to bed. I did, but heard her come and go a couple of times around 11:30pm. At midnight, she came in the front door and my dogs went crazy - really crazy. I got up to discover her trying to sneak a guy in my house - upstairs to my daughter's bedroom (which she was using, as my daughter is at her dad's). I get VERY upset, told her she was disrespectful and she said she didn't think I would mind. I told her to go stay at this guy's house for the night and we'd talk tomorrow about the rest of her stay at my house. She then informed me that this guy lives with his girlfriend and she had nowhere to go.

I told her to pack her stuff and get out of my home. It was storming and I didn't care. Who the hell does she think she is? She left - I have no idea where.

So tonight I discover that my bike on my patio has been stolen. Funny how it's the bike that I just offered to let her use since she didn't have a car and was stuck in my house all day while I was at work! She's trash.

My question is - should I call the cops and report the bike stolen? I know it was her. What should I do?

All this just for trying to help someone.

- Asked by pjay007, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Miami, Who Cares?

I would, it is obvious it was her. She has no respect and it sounds like nothing is going right for her in her life and she is on a downward spiral. This might be the wake up call she needs.

- Response by Authenticity, A Thinker, Female, 29-35

I'm sorry hon. You gave fair warning, and she blew it. But, if you let a coyote into your home, don't expect it to behave like a lamb.

- Response by feralberyl, A Creative, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

It's hard trying to be nice to people and I found that out the hard way. I also learned to let some things go! take the bike as a lost and a lesson learned. Her family must already know how she is,because if they didn't she would of been at one of their homes(especially her own sister)instead of yours.

- Response by mcafee1229, A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Food Service

Don't let her get away with anything thing else -- report your bike stolen, and your suspicions.

- Response by buffalothighs88, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

man turn that bitch in, how dare she disrespect you after you took her ungrateful ass in, let her sister know also... even though she knows what she is about, because that's why she not with her... i can't stand people like that.. i helped alot of family thru the years, 1 night turned into a week, then a month... i learned to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and it feels good.you will get much more respect.. trust me.

- Response by mburgos, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Who Cares?

hate to get off of ur problem, but i am sick of being taken advantage of as well!!! i moved a friend and her 16 yo daughter with the rent covering all utilities. well she assumed that meant EVERYTHING! rides, groceries, my toiletries, EVERYTHING!!! well after 5 months, i couldn't take it anymore, especially afer she got in my face for something STUPID and i gave her notice to get out of my house by 3/1. well, suddenly, im the bad guy, she took away all of her pots and pans and spices and cookware, towels, and her large screen tv. well, i could care less, its just the point, why is whats mine hers and whats hers is hers??? she got mad cause i took MY laptop to my room so her and her daughter could no longer use it, i said my computer was NEVER included in the rent. but im stressing myself out over not wanting to be in the same house with them. as if they might gang up on me in my own house. i go to work early and try not to be home. but at the same time, everyones telling me to go home and make HER feel uncomfortable. i just dont like confrontation and don't know how she's going to be. long story short, i said on 1/1/2011 i was gonna be a new person and treat people like they treat me and hence, kicking her ass out! sick of her entitlement issues and getting nothing in return!

as far as ur bike issue, i would go after for the value at least. but then again, can u really prove she took it. don't be nice anymore, because no good deed goes unpunished!

- Response by nicky711, A Thinker, Female, 36-45

To answer your question, yes. Definitely, yes. Your bike was stolen and you should report it. Now, if you'll forgive me, I'd like to open my big mouth and give you some advice. Please don't stop being a nice person. Just know that there are many people out there who have a real ability to pick you (the nice person) out of a crowd. I always give people the benefit of the doubt until they show me that I'm mistaken. That's what happened to you in this situation. Now that you know that you were mistaken in helping this piece of trash, make sure your kindness doesn't stand in the way of your ability to protect yourself and your possessions. Best of luck!!!

- Response by palli910, A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Miami