Old songs on the radio, how do you feel when you listen to them?
Jokes, Polls & Anything Else / 6:32 PM - Thursday January 27, 2011

They make me feel so sad when I listen to those songs from when I was a teenager. They´ve just played one by Aretha Franklin and I realize a life has passed and it was a good, wonderful life but when my husband lived we looked at each other and said "Remember?" Now, they make me cry, sorry. But does anyone feel the same? Or do you like to listen to them over and over again?

- Asked by farawayfan, Female, 56-65, Buenos Aires, Teaching

I like a mix of old and new music. The really old songs usually do bring back memories. Some make me cry, some make me smile, and some are just bittersweet. I wouldn't stop listening to any of them though.

depends on the song....sometimes I laugh out loud...sometimes I crack a beer and dance...sometimes I cry and then phone the asshole

- Response by honeywillowsback, A Creative, Female, 46-55, Edmonton

I tend to bury the past and move on like it never happened, changing the station as soon as a song comes on that brings back memories; my sister knows this about me and never fails to know just when to send an email of a song that takes me back and I have to admit I listen to it repeatedly when she does, sometimes crying or laughing or both... but whatever that's just the way it is and music has a weird way of taking some of us back in time. Either way, I'm sorry for your loss and there are plenty of great new songs that will make you want to dance.

- Response by kalicalendar16, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35

I always listen to the old 70's Soul that my late husband and I loved so much. It's still my preference and I put it on my MP3 player, so it doesn't really make me that sad, although it does make me think of him. I would say it's bittersweet. So I guess I fall into the category of listening to the songs over and over again. We named our first baby after an Aretha song. Gotta Find Me An Angel.

- Response by abitspoiled, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

It always reminds me of those days and day dream back to what was going in my life. Sad & Fun great times

- Response by lifestyle, A Father Figure, Male, 56-65, Houston

It depends on my mood. If I'm feeling blue, no, I don't want to remember when I was single and fancy free but sometimes it brings back happy memories. Mostly, I listen to current R&B songs.

i was in rite aid today, and the song my eyes adored ya.. and i started singing it..and started thinking of my husband.. and then after that.. rock the boat, rock the boat baba came on ..i'm like damn i was like 12 when this came out.. so many memories.. i love old music.. love it..

- Response by mburgos, A Cool Mom, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Who Cares?

It is strange how hearing an old song will immediately put you back in time to when it was important to you or reminds you of someone or some place. For some reason, that song by Loy Gramm "Midnight Blue" makes me think of my high school girlfriend. Every time I hear it, which isn't often these days, I immediately think back to the summer of 1987 which was one of the greatest summers I ever had.

Certain smells can do the same thing. Old mildew sort of smelling Army equipment immediately makes me think standing in a supply room waiting to get some sheets on my first night of basic training.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

I'm so much like you with this. I haven't figured it out. At first I'll be like, "Oh! I used to LOVE this song." Then I automatically think about what happened to these amazing songwriters; many just fell off the earth. Then, for whatever reason, I start feeling sad. I think it's like the guy who said it reminded him of when he was single and fancy-free. My life is nowhere near as fun as it used to be, and I MISS it. I spend my life working and working and simply trying to survive. It's sad to remember that I *used* to think my life was hard, just because some stupid rumor got started about me <grin>. Boy, we just didn't know yet, did we... :-)