Why is my Sister In Law so mean to me?
Family & Parenting / 8:46 AM - Tuesday January 25, 2011

Why is my Sister In Law so mean to me?

I've done nothing but be nice to my Sister In Law (and all my in-laws).

She's such a bitch to me for no reason! Pretty much she treats me like I'm a 2nd rate family member. She leaves me off of invitations. She undermines my parenting (even though she's 6 yrs younger than me and she has no children). She talks over me, interrupts me, etc. Most recently she friend-requested me on Facebook, and then blocked me from her wall. Weird!!

Some people just think that In-Laws deserve to be treated like 2nd rate human beings? What's that all about?

Uh.... she is one of those ....

You didn't check with me first people...

Somehow you got *in* under the radar with her brother....before she had a *say* about it..

Dominance and control seems to be her game and you are
are not following her outline.... Most likely ..you are oblivious that there even is one... Oops~~ A time out for you for not following her unsaid rules...Off the Wall ...Until you kiss her ass to get back in....You will be expected to keep this up to be allowed in her inner circle for the next 30 yrs.... Enjoy!

- Response by lady4u, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

I would speak to your sister in law about how you feel and include your brother. If she doesn't change her ways your brother will understand why you aren't socializing with her and him only alone. Rosey

Wow your situation is very similar to mine. My sister-in-law (my brothers wife) is the same way. On facebook for example, she kept on taking her friend requests away and when she finally decided to add me as a friend, she blocked her pictures entirely - so I can't see any pictures of my nephews. She doesn't live next to use, so when I would stay at her house, bad things would mysteriously happen. For example, $1,000 would be missing from my purse. My contact lenses would be gone(knowing that I had a date that night). My expense shoes would be cut. My expensive sunglasses would be broken. Items would be missing from my suitcase. Boy I learned my lesson. I don't stay there anymore. But things are continuing to happen. On my wedding day she pushed me away when I went to say hello to her and kiss her claiming her makeup would get ruined (on MY wedding day). At my wedding it was like she came to a funeral. Whatever she does, my brother says its ok, because she knows how to cover her tracks. I'm always looked like the evil one. I call her for the holidays but she never returns my calls. It is so difficult, because I don't want to lose my brother. She definitely has 2 personalities and plays my brother well with looking innocent. What to do?

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 26-28, New York, Who Cares?

She sounds attention-seeking to me, a trait of disordered individuals; she really wishes she were more like you, its a jealousy.
My advice is to ignore her and keep well away from her, she sounds very scheming, maybe she has BPD.

This woman is either your brother's wife or your husband's sister, right? Have you tried talking to either of those people to intervene in the interest of family unity? What did they say?

- Response by mikehug, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Cleveland

Rudeness is rudeness and it does not matter if it comes from your mother or some stranger on the street. The reaction to it is still the same - you are hurt and appalled. The solution to it is the same as well. You talk to the person being rude and point out what specifically abnout their behavior you find offensive. You have to be specific, direct and immediate. If you just sit there an let people be rude to you then they will. My favorite thing to do is to wait for the rude behavior to begin and call them out in front of other people. That way they feel embarassed for being publicly called out and showing that they have no manners or are very mean. It is 100% effective at embarrassing them and getting even. However it's only 50-50 when it comes to the person actually stopping the bad behavior. Regardless, you'll feel better standing up for yourself.

- Response by 7zebras, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Financial / Banking

its not an in law thing its a maturity thing. some folks never grow up. just expect her to be that way and she will never disappoint you

- Response by superbussell, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Detroit, Artist / Musician / Writer