How much do you get paid in child support?
Family & Parenting / 4:45 PM - Monday January 17, 2011

How many children do you have, and in what town and state - or country - do you live? I think I'm getting swindled. I live in Hunt Valley, Maryland, and I get $260 a month for 1 child.

- Asked by A Thinker, Female, 36-45, Baltimore, Fashion

That's not even enough to cover half the groceries, rent, clothing, electricity, gas, water, medicines and so forth. That's not even close to what you should be getting. You're getting screwed....seriously... .

I'm not in the same pickle as you, so my whereabouts is irrelevant....

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

This varies from state to state. I do know some states take into account both parent's income but here in Texas child support is solely determined on how much the non-custodial parent makes. It's pretty straightforward i.e. 20% first child and increases for each child not to exceed 50% of ones income.

Basically if your ex is a low life with a low paying job then of course child support would be set very low. I'm not sure what your situation is but you may not be getting screwed if his income is low. Actually you may want to thank your lucky stars you actually get paid because there are allot of women who never see a dime in child support!

My suggestion would be to get to a place in life where you will never have to depend on this check. If you get it GREAT, if not, well you can still make it. This is what I did so that I would never be dependent on my ex.

I get nothing and never did. He was supposed to pay 155 a month for 1 child. She's 12 now so he owes 22,320 dollars! Do you think I care about that money! Not anymore! But I sure did learn my lesson! Not having another child until I know the man im with is financially set!

- Response by utblizzie81, A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Houston, Medical / Dental

Read this for the calculations, and follow the links to the Maryland legal "advice" sites to learn more.

ht_XX_tp://ww_XX_w.alll aw.co_XX_m/calculators/ child_XX_support/maryla nd/

just remove the "_XX_"

I'm in southern California, and I have clients who pay or receive $400 to $2000 per month in C/S. It's all based on the non-custodial parent's income, as determined by various means, with criminal liability for mis-reporting.

- Response by A Career Man, Male, 36-45

As far as I know it's all generally determined the same way...the amount of child support you receive is a straight up mathematical equation based on the father's REPORTED income, your REPORTED income, and how much time the child is in each of your homes. If your child's father has a low-paying job then yeah, you're gonna receive a small amount of support (and that damn sure IS small, my goodness).

Not all states use the woman's income. Most often it is a percentage of the father's income.

I do NOT receive child support and he is a whopping $60K in arrears. My ordered support is $475 for two kids. My husband (obviously not my children's father) is ordered to pay $800 for ONE child. His ex wife had a helluva divorce attorney and at the time, he made $40K and she made $60K...but he pays $800.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Chicago

Your child support is usually determined by the father's income. This suggests the father is a low income earner. At least he is paying support unlike alot of deadbeats who don't pay support or even see their children on a regular basis. If you feel cheated contact a lawyer and submit a financial sheet and budget to the court. They may award you extra costs if needed for a child. Rosey

You really can't compare what you get to what someone else gets. That figure is based on too many variables .. but they're mainly based on how much the non-custodial parent earns.

If you don't think you're getting what you should for your children, go back to Family Court to dispute it.

I get nothing. That seems REALLY low...I know someone who is paying 1 k a week for 2 kids.

- Response by butternutbisque, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I get less. I get 200 a month for one child.

Oh yeah did I mention he is almost 1500 behind???? Some men really suck.

- Response by A Thinker, Female, 29-35, Houston, Medical / Dental

I thought it was determined by how much the ex makes. 260 does not sound like much. Check with your local Domestic Relations Office.

- Response by daffodils2008, A Thinker, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

It's based on the income of the non-custodial parent...and some states use the custodial parent's income as well...it just depends.

- Response by clip22, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45, Executive

In the 1980s, I was only getting $135/mos for one child.... :(

- Response by blossoming1, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Civil Service

I am not an attorney, and I am a man so I come to this topic biased big time. But while the laws, attorneys and judges may say you could get more it all depends on various factors. On just a basic common sense level consoder it this way (although the laws aren't written this way) you get 260 from him, which suggests you also should contribute 260...that is 520. I have three kids with my wife, we live in California. I know it doesn't take 520 a month to raise one kid. That would mean if I die and she maintains the same life style she would need someone to contribute 1560 bucks each month towards her efforts at rasing the kids. Uh uh! I know the costs of raising kids are never ending, but who decides what is actually a need? You have to decide together, and if you can't communicate that is on you two. My buddy, has one kid he sees the kid 35% of the time and he still pays 626 a month. The ex and he know it isn't necessary. He just hasn't challenged it in court yet. When he does he WILL get 50/50 custody and get support reduced. Currently she just works 2 days a week. She could work one more day a week (she is a nurse) and increase her weekly income by over 250 a week. He has talked to her about taking part of what he pays her and putting it in a college savings account for the kid while she picks up one more day a week and then everyone wins. She hasn't shown interest. Well, he will just go to court and she will be forced to. Of course she won't have to work more, no court can force that. The point is, he cheated and felt guilty at the time of the divorce. HE fought nothing. He got screwed. We grew up with both of them and consider her a reasonable person. Yet she is doing this crap. People's perspective change when they split/divorce. Everything gets jumbled. What is reasonable? What is right? If you are paying for all the clothes, all the insurance, all of private school tuition and some of these things then it may be different. If you and he feel like you should save for college then fine there needs to be more money, but he should pay for all of the college savings. Besides saving for a kid's college isn't required either. But look at it realistically. You said YOU are getting swindled. YOU aren't...the KID might be. Divorce and child support isn't supposed to be designed to make your life easy. Divorce and seperation destroys lives and all child support is designed to do (or should be) is to ensure a man pays his share of raising the kid. Ask yourself what he pays for. DOes he see the kid? 35% of the time? 50%? He buys groceries and pays for stuff too. If you have sole custody and he doesn't see the kid, or sees the kid and makes you pay for everything because he is "paying" you then you may have a gripe. But, there are so many women who use child support to break a man. He might make 2000 a month, yet she wants like 800 or 1000...why? Child support has to be based on establishing a reasonable life style based on the earning abilities of each parent. If the Dad isn't making big bucks then why should the kid live like he is, my kids don't. If you are making big bucks then you shouldn't be concerned with getting swindled as long as he is paying what is his fair share, not equal to you if his earning ability is different, but rather if he is paying his fair share of what is REASONABLE for the kid. It is complex, you could deserve 5 times what you are getting, but you also may deserve exactly what you are getting. Be careful, you sound like a lot of bitter ex wives when you say "you are getting swindled", its NOT about you. It has nothing to do with you. It is about the kid. In fact the money should go directly to the support of the kid. You have to pay rent/mortgage anyway, you have utilities anyway, you have transportation costs anyway, the money should go directly to the costs of the kid. Much of the time that isn't what happens. I hope you are different. Look I know how little 260 is, I know, it is hardly anything. But because it sounds like nothing doesn't mean it automatically is a rip off. You have to consider all things. Evenif you hate the Dad, you have to consider everything. Many women don't care that their kid goes to visit Daddy and he has nothing for the kid, no groceries, a crappy home, crappy transportation etc. Worse yet, some kids don't see Daddy because he is alwasy working to pay what the woman has dictated she "needs". While she has a new guy who works, she works at a good job and lives well...meanwhile Daddy lives in squaler works hard to support her new life. Its all fu**ed up. In the early days of divorce women and kids were left poor, then the laws changed and Dads were left poor, now moreoften than not everyone is left poor. It is a tragedy, it really. I am not saying people should NEVER divorce either. I realize sometime it is needed.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Sacramento, Other Profession

Yes, I would check in to that ASAP. I received that amount 20 yrs. ago! Now, I have to pay for my child's Insurance, no c/s for me. Good luck,

- Response by A Hippie Chick, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

that does sound low, but then again I dont know what you make vs was he makes and so on. a lot goes into this equation.

- Response by hotair, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, New Orleans, Transportation

The amount the ex was to pay -- $95 per month for two kids. Utah.

The amount the ex paid -- $0.

Good luck. File through your state Office of Recovery Services.

A better question would be if he had the child, how much child support would/could you pay?

child support is set by the courts.
you need to get a better lawyer.

The amount you get is determined by how much they make. You will get a percentage. where i live child support is 16.5% of your income per child up to 50% at max. When my father didn't want to pay my mom 1200 a month. He started working under the table. and he now owes 60k plus in unpaid child support.

- Response by tonilyz, A Guy Critical, Male, 22-25, Milwaukee, Student

It does vary from state to state. I get 25% of his salary for 2 kids. They do take into effect the amount I was able to contribute as well.

I'd say if you have an issue with what you are getting, maybe you need to go back to a lawyer or to court.

- Response by hotsytotsy4u, A Thinker, Female, 46-55

I live in Montpelier,Indiana and get 40 bucks a week (160-200 a month depending on the month)for 1 child who has had medical issues since he was 17 months old. On top of that the father is supposed to have medical insurance on him as well as whatever I have and any bills not paid by insurance are split between us with me paying the first 350 plus an additional 45%.

- Response by staceym2112, A Cool Mom, Female, 26-28, Medical / Dental