Is it wrong to lie on your resume?
Career / 5:06 PM - Monday January 10, 2011

Is it wrong to lie on your resume?

Ok, come on tell me the truth...have you EVER...even just once? I've been battling with the thought of lying on my resume and not really sure what to do. Not like a big lie...just saying that I was working in Australia when I really wasn't. (didn't get the approval to work until like a few weeks before I left...figures) Am I just THAT evil? (muah hahaha)

Update: January 10, 2011.
Thank you guys! "mrscleaver16" has it exactly right and that is why I never have lied on a resume...at some point someday while working there it would probably come out sooner or later. I know it's not worth it, but boy the thought sure is there. Tah! (aussie for thank you)

- Asked by firechick, A Cool Mom, Female, 36-45, Seattle, Celebrity

My advice -- do NOT do it. Dishonesty is never worth it and the lie will came back to bite you in the ass ten times over.

Embellishment is one thing....

....then there's what you're proposing here.

They could probably check that out with a couple of phone calls if they wished. If you are just talking about stretching the time spent there a bit, you might be able to get away with it.......and you ARE probably a sort of Diet Coke kind of evil. ;)

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

Lying on your resume isn't cool. You're really playing with "fire" doing that. Most employers do background checks anymore and will fire you if they find discrepancies such as the one you mentioned. That was a pretty BIG lie for sure.

Even if a lie like that isn't caught on a background check, when you work with people, you'd always have to be careful about what you said about your history to co-workers. That kind of thing gets back to the company and makes that lie look even worse than what you lied about on your resume.

Better to be honest upfront and get a job that you "earned" than to get one based on lies and get fired later.

- Response by mrscleaver16, A Married Girl, Female, 56-65

What happens when they call to check that you were working when you weren't? It doesn't look very good to the prospective employer. I have actually caught someone doing this...he was not hired. If such a "small" detail was something you thought you should lie about, I wonder what big detail you may lie about under my employ.

My advice - don't do it. Either leave it off, or leave it open for discussion.

- Response by dogrn, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

No, I have never lied on a resume or at an interview. I never would, and yes, I do believe that it is wrong.

- Response by sunset77, A Sweet Sarah, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Embellish a lil bit...but Dont lie...per'say

- Response by hedo2nj, A Player, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

They WANT you to lie! My brother is going through this crap. He had worked for years in some no-skill, dead-end factory job. What the hell is he supposed to say on a resume? "Wage Slave" is perfectly accurate, but doesn't sound too glamorous.

Besides, there aren't a lot of jobs in Rhode Island. He's even tried applying at Burger King...and even THEY want a resume!

I mean, what gives? What the hell kind of "resume" do you need at friggin' BURGER KING?!? What are you supposed to say? "I have a PhD in physics, and have, since the day I was potty-trained, worked on a refutation of Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity. Therefore, I am quite qualified to scrub your toilets."

Why can't they just give a simple APPLICATION, like they used to do? "Resume," my ass!

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

I think you already know the answer. It is all about values. If you have good values, you would never lie period. If not, you would make a poorer choice.

- Response by blossoming1, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Civil Service