If a guy always hides his cell phone - It automatically means he's cheating? Right or wrong?
Dating / 11:15 AM - Thursday December 30, 2010

Just wondering -because I hear a lot of people say oh my guy hides his cell phone and everyone is like he's cheating or he doesn't want you to know who's numbers in it.

What if you have a super jealous girlfriend and she has a vivid imagination and if there are female names in the phone she assumes that he's cheating on her with them - regardless if they are cousins or whatever. what if it's just easier if she doesn't ever see the phone? What if as soon as she sees the phone she goes through it and starts a fight within two minutes? What if he leaves it out and she goes through it and he asks her and she snaps out anyway?

Doesn't seem like a win -win situation - whether he leaves it out or not, she's going to snap and accuse him. I know, he should dump her ass - but what if he loves her so much that he's willing to tolerate this one issue she has?

My brother goes through this with his wife. She'll find his phone and go through it and then start shit. He'll leave it out knowing she's going to go through it and she'll start a fight. So, he's gotten to the point he just shuts it off when he's with her. she has issues with him being friends with lots of women and doesn't want him talking to any women period. I think it's a control issue thing - how about you?

- Asked by A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45

She is trying to get in control since she is so insecure... However, it will never give her peace of mind. A good friend of mine had a very jealous GF. She called every women in his phone directory and asked each one of them how they knew her BF... So embarrassing.

I think you make a good point. Some people will exhibit behaviour that might imply that they are cheating, but they are only behaving this way to protect themselves from an irrational GF/BF.

- Response by mld1221, A Career Man, Male, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Managerial

If a guy hides his cell phone it could mean a lot of things. It could mean he's cheating ... it could just mean he has a nosey s/o .. who knows.

Actually, no one has the right to go through anyone else's property without their permission. So if he wants to hide it to keep it from prying eyes, that's his business.

I'm not the least bit interested in looking through my husband's phone and he isn't with mine either. We don't hide them and we don't look through them either.

If someone insists on looking through your phone, it's an insecurity or control issue for them. Something THEY need to work on, not necessarily the other person.

Once had a overly jealous gf, never again. I never cheated, hell never even kissed someone else while dating her, but since you can't prove that, would occasionaly get shit for stuf I didn't do. So naturally started hiding things that would upset her, and lessened friendships that would have upset her. So yeah a guy hiding his phone around someone who would start fights for no reason, is perfectly reasonable.

You are not in their marriage. The statement "she has issues with him being friends with lots of women" says it all.

- Response by catscratch, A Thinker, Female, 46-55, Executive

Trust = love.

Without trust there can never be real love.

If a man feels like he has to hide something from ME, I must be doing something wrong. That phone could be anywhere and I still wouldn't look through it. It always amazes me when I hear women talking about how they snoop, I just don't get it.

- Response by dogrn, A Hippie Chick, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

It may be a control issue, but it begins with her own crappy self esteem. She uses manipulation and control tactics as a way of compensating.
You can't cure crappy self esteem. It has to be done through mental strengthening exercises, just like building physical strength.

If you are in a relationship without trust, what's the point of being in it. I believe most women has a power to know when their man is cheating, it's called intiution. Use it and use it well...if not... don't bother being in a relalationship.

- Response by elbesims, A Career Woman, Female, 36-45

Brother's wife sounds like a controlling bitch -- from your description.

Yes, i believe that a guy who hides things from you is cheating. He may not be cheating on you for another girl but he may be lying to you about something. Hiding things from your loved ones is not healthy in a relationship. I've been a victim of a guy who hid the truth from me for a long time. He lied to me about his debts and so many things. Later on, the relationship fell apart because "trust" was broken. He can't commit to the relationship and cannot fight for me because he's broke. He can't go back to my country to be with me. He also lost his job. So I've decided to let go but it was so painful.
Now, if the man willingly showed his cellphone without any hesitations, there's no reason for the woman to suspect right? I mean, if the man is not hiding anything, why can't you show it? You don't need to hide anything right? But, if the man already showed his cellphone, his wallet or even his e-mails, and the woman is still paranoid and out of control, i guess the woman is the crazy one. The man can't also be defensive and say, "Why do you want to check my phone, you don't trust me? Do you love me?" Bla bla bla! Bullshit! To make the story short, MEN SHOULD JUST QUIT HIDING! SHOW YOUR DAMN PHONE! SHOW YOUR DAMN WALLET! SHOW YOUR DAMN EMAILS! CUT THE PRIVACY CRAP! JUST BE REAL! BE HONEST! THAT'S IT and NORMALLY, women will QUIT SUSPECTING! AND VICE VERSA!!!

- Response by waitinginvainmaria, A Creative, Female, 29-35