How to deal with people who never answer text messages.
Friendship / 10:15 PM - Monday December 27, 2010

So I know these answers will widely vary amongst age groups. But here is the deal. I have this one buddy, one of my closest friends. The problem is this guy is awful about returning text messages. They either get ignored completely, or it takes hours to return. I'm not even talking about things that take a lot to respond to. I mean things that could be answered in less than 5 words. Its annoying as hell. And before you say maybe the guy didn't get it, I know him. This guy very rarely doesn't have his phone on him, or in very close proximity. I just think its a very rude thing to do. Worst part is, when me, or anyone else calls him out on it, he gets all defensive. Any ideas on ways to try and deal with this?

- Asked by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Chicago, Internet / New Media

Yeah, don't text him. That's the way to deal with it.

If you know he doesn't usually have his phone in his vicinity all day then why are you texting him? OK so he doesn't do texts. No big deal. Perhaps he has more important things to be doing than fielding all the texts, emails, calls and skypes that come in all day long and interrupt everything he is trying to get on with. I have a lot of sympathy with that. People who think I should be at their disposal all day are a pain in the ass in my opinion. Leave me a message and I'll deal with it when I'm free. That's all there is to it.

- Response by tfsustfu, A Life of the Party, Male, 26-28

I find some people just hate texting or they don't really know how to do it. my dad is like this...he is unsure of what to do.
if this is not the case, obviously this guy just doesn't like to communicate this way. so I'd find other ways to contact him, such as calling him on the actual phone to talk or ask questions.

some people are just like this. my brother is notorious for being too busy and he never responds to emails. everyone laughs about it.

we have to work around these people.
you could tell him that it is frustrating that he does not respond to the texts..see what happens.

- Response by fondacox, A Trendsetter, Female, 36-45

No idea.I know people who don't know how to access them and say they will not learn it either, so maybe you can only stop texting him.
If he ever texts you, text him back like in 3 days or something.Or never. (?)

- Response by springrain13, A Hippie Chick, Female, 56-65

You may not like my response, but here you go.

I think in life some people tend to get caught up in the way **they** think other's should behave, or mirror the way they themself are. It is rather unfair for this line of thinking to affect the other person, particularly if they are made aware of it.

In defense of you, it is very annoying as I have been there, and would expect a proper time frame for a response...But in reality we are not on the receiving end, and have no idea what is going on, regardless if we know for certain they have their phone with them at all times.

Sorry to say, you may just have to not let this bother you (As annoying) as it is, and just accept that this is who your friend is and their behavior with texting. ..If you don't want to do that maybe you could ask your friend to call you quick rather than leave you hanging and ignored. There comes a time when someone needs to be called out regardless if they find it offensive, considering you are every time you are ignored.

- Response by An Alternative Girl, Female, Who Cares?

Quit texting. Why do you keep doing it knowing he doesn't respond?

- Response by newyorkjoe, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Lawyer