Why do people tailgate?
Sex & Intimacy / 5:37 AM - Saturday December 25, 2010

Why do people tailgate?

Why do people have to drive right up on your tail while your driving the speed limit and then get upset that you won't speed up? Don't you worry about getting rear ended?

- Asked by alwaysblueskies, A Career Man, Male, 56-65, Retail

People are always in a hurry. They might think you'll speed up if they tailgate, but most people even slow down because that makes them mad.

I've been rear-ended a couple of times with people following too closely. Each time, they received at ticket and had a lot more damage than I had .. it's really pretty stupid.

Well in the past it probably made some drivers go faster or it means just get in the left lane.

Yes well some people they don't care they think your going to slow sometimes there no reasoning with a person or it means next lane left lane your suppose to be going fast.

I will readily admit that I have road rage. Let me explain; I live in a rural area (mountains)and only have two major roads that intersect my area. I was born and raised in Baltimore, so you can imagine the traffic nightmare that I grew up with. Where I live now, people are in the middle of nowhere, and will drive ten miles under the limit. God forbid if it rains or snows, they slow down even more. Don't get me wrong, I understand the inclement weather, but when it's sunny, roads are clear, nothing in the way for miles, they slow down. Why? And then, when you are at the speed limit, people will pull out on you, and immediately slow down. That really pisses you off. My thoughts, if you don't want to drive it, park it. I agree, that if people drive the speed limit, others should back off. Sorry for the rant, Merry Christmas

- Response by masterbody1, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55

When they want the person in front of them to get out of their way.

- Response by kalicalendar16, A Hippie Chick, Female, 29-35

They don't want you to go faster, they just want to be in front of you. It doesn't matter that they won't be going any faster when they get their way.

Just slowly slow down, little by little, and they will get pissed enough to go around.

Also, get a "I'll speed up when you start paying for my gas" bumper sticker like i have on my car.

- Response by guy506, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Houston, Other Profession

Because unless you're on a twisty road through a neighborhood filled with tiny children, there is NO REASON to just go the speed limit if conditions are good! You can go far faster and be perfectly safe (though, you must be aware and only do it on the highway- never speed through areas with kids).

Why do we tailgate you? Because we have places to go, and you're going way slower than we are. Nobody's asking you to drive faster than you're comfortable with. It's a free country, drive at your own pace! Just, please, MOVE OVER so we can get by you! That is ALL we are asking!

Also, there's a time and a place. Don't go the speed limit in the left hand lane of the highway. That's a pretty dick move, and you'll hold up traffic behind you. If you want to go 65mph, there are two whole other lanes for you to do that in.

All we want when we do that is for you to let us get by. If we're creeping up on your bumper, it's because due to other cars we CAN'T pass you ourselves, and if we're going to get by you, you need to MOVE OVER and let us go!

I hope this helps you understand...

- Response by A Player, Female, 26-28, Who Cares?

If you have a lane to get over and let them pass you are supposed to get over. The left lane is for passing and the right is for slow people who get passed. If someone is riding your rear it means they expect you to get over.

because they want you to speed up.